Star 69 (song)
Spain promotional release
|Song by R.E.M. from the album Monster|
|Released||26 September 1994 (UK)
27 September 1994 (US)
|Genre||Alternative rock, Hard rock|
|Writer(s)||Bill Berry, Peter Buck, Mike Mills, Michael Stipe|
|Producer(s)||Scott Litt and R.E.M.|
|Monster track listing|
The song is named after the access number for the last-call return feature of telephones in North America, as indicated by its chorus:
"I know you calledStar 69"
I know you called
I know you hung up my line
Of all of the songs on Monster, "Star 69" is the one that evolved most from its initial demo. It started out at six minutes long before having its bridge excised and its original chorus discarded.
|Canadian RPM 100||73|
|US Billboard Hot 100 Airplay||74|
|US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||15|
|US Billboard Modern Rock Tracks||8|
- Whitburn, Joel (2009). Top Pop Singles. Wisconsin: Record Research. p. 811. ISBN 0-89820-180-2. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- Black, Johnny (2004). Reveal: The Story of R.E.M. London: Backbeat Books. ISBN 0-87930-776-5.
- "Top Singles - Volume 61, No. 10, April 10, 1995". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- "Top Singles - Volume 61, No. 12, April 24, 1995". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- "R.E.M. - Charts & Awards - Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "R.E.M. Album & Song Chart History - Alternative Songs". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
|This 1990s rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|