Stephen Parry (politician)
|Senator The Honourable
|President of the Senate|
7 July 2014
|Preceded by||John Hogg|
|Senator for Tasmania|
1 July 2005
31 October 1960 |
|Political party||Liberal Party of Australia|
Stephen Shane Parry (born 31 October 1960) is an Australian politician and the incumbent President of the Australian Senate. He has represented the state of Tasmania in the Australian Senate as a member of Liberal Party of Australia since July 2005.
Parry was born on 31 October 1960 in Burnie, Tasmania, to William Stephen Parry and Patricia Dawn Evans. He was educated at Burnie's Marist Regional College after which he enrolled at the Tasmanian Police Academy in Hobart.
Parry was employed as an officer with the Tasmanian Police from 1977 to 1986, and was promoted to Detective in 1983. After leaving the police force, he completed a certificate in Mortuary Science at the Australian College of Funeral Service, and was a funeral director from 1986 to 2004, becoming president of the Australian Funeral Directors Association. Parry performed a significant role in the wake of the Port Arthur Massacre, acting as the Team Leader of the Embalming Team. Parry was also president of the Burnie Chamber of Commerce and Industry from 2000 to 2004, and a director of the Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry from 2000 to 2005.
In 2004, Parry was elected to the Australian Senate for the state of Tasmania as a member of the Liberal Party of Australia. He was elected Government Deputy Whip in the Senate in November 2006 and Government Whip in April 2007 in succession to the late Senator Jeannie Ferris. Senator Parry was elected Opposition Whip after the 2007 federal election and on 16 February 2009, in addition to his role as Whip, he was appointed Manager of Opposition Business in the Senate.
Stephen Parry is married with two adult sons.
Political views on issues
- "Liberals' Parry elected Senate president". The Australian. AAP. 7 July 2014. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Suzannah Pearce, ed. (17 November 2006). "PARRY Stephen Shane". Who's Who in Business Live!. North Melbourne, Vic: Crown Content Pty Ltd. Check date values in:
|year= / |date= mismatch(help);
- Parry, Stephen (1996). "Port Arthur Massacre 1996 – AFDA National Embalming Team – Detailed Report". Port Arthur Papers.
- Stephen Parry, Senate Biography
- Summary of parliamentary voting for Senator Stephen Parry on TheyVoteForYou.org.au
|Parliament of Australia|
|President of the Australian Senate