Steven G. Calabresi
Steven G. Calabresi is an American legal scholar. He is Clayton J. and Henry R. Barber Professor of Law at Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law. He is the nephew of Guido Calabresi, legal scholar, U.S. Appellate judge, and former Dean of Yale Law School.
Calabresi graduated from the Moses Brown School in Providence, Rhode Island in 1976. He then attended Yale College, graduating cum laude in 1980. He next attended Yale Law School, where he was the Note & Topics Editor of the Yale Law Journal. After law school, he served as law clerk for Judge Ralph K. Winter of the US Appellate Court, Second Circuit, Judge Robert H. Bork of the D.C. Circuit, and Justice Antonin Scalia of the United States Supreme Court.
While at Yale Law School, Calabresi and two Yale College friends, Lee Liberman Otis and David McIntosh, founded the Yale chapter of the Federalist Society, one of three original chapters of the Society. In 2019, he was chairman of the Society's board of directors. Professor Calabresi is an active libertarian-conservative author and commentator.,
Calabresi joined the faculty of Northwestern Law School in 1990, and has taught there ever since. He has also been a visiting professor at Yale Law School (in the Fall semesters of 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016), and a Visiting Professor of Political Theory at Brown University, where he has taught since 2010.
Calabresia has published more than 65 articles in law reviews
He has written or edited several books/
- Originalism: A Quarter-Century of Debate (2007), co-edited with Christopher S. Yoo, with a foreword by Justice Scalia.
- The Unitary Executive: Presidential Power from Washington to Bush (2008), with Christopher S. Yoo.
- The U.S. Constitution and Comparative Constitutional Law: Texts, Cases and Materials (lead co-author), a Foundation Press casebook
- ''The Constitution of the United States (co-author), a Foundation Press casebook
Calabresi served under Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush from 1985 to 1990. During that time, he advised Attorney General Edwin Meese III, and Reagan Domestic Policy Chief T. Kenneth Cribb, and wrote campaign speeches for Vice President Dan Quayle. Calabresi supports legally recognizing same-sex marriages. In 2016, Professor Calabresi endowed the Abraham Lincoln Lecture on Constitutional Law at Northwestern Priztker School of Law in Chicago. The purpose of the lecture is to show Lincoln's enormous talent as a constitutional lawyer and to reflect on what legal changes Lincoln's legacy might appropriately call for today.
- DeParle, Jason (2005-08-01). "Debating the Subtle Sway of the Federalist Society". The New York Times.
- "Steven G. Calabresi". Northwestern Pritzker School of Law.
- "Prof. Steven G. Calabresi". The Federalist Society.
- Calabresi, Steven G. (2008-10-28). "Obama's 'Redistribution' Constitution". The Wall Street Journal.
- Amar, Akil Reed; Calabresi, Steven G. (2002-10-05). "The Supreme Court's Unfree Speech". The New York Times.
- "Steven G. Calabresi [CV]" (PDF). Northwestern Pritzker School of Law.
- "Freedom to Marry, Freedom to Dissent: Why We Must Have Both". RealClearPolitics. 2014-04-22.