|Origin||Sorø, Sjælland, Denmark|
|Genres||Psychedelic rock, progressive rock, folk rock|
|Past members||Malik Høegh
Sumé (meaning "where?" in Greenlandic) was a Greenlandic rock band considered the pioneers of Greenlandic rock music. They were formed in 1972 around the singer, guitarist and composer Malik Høegh (born 1952), and guitarist, singer and composer Per Berthelsen. Their first record Sumut "where to?" was released in 1973 on the Greenlandic ULO label and was purchased by 20 percent of the Greenlandic population becoming an important part of the Greenlandic movement for cultural independence of Denmark. The band was inspired by American rock, but sang in the Greenlandic language and their lyrics were progressive and critical of the Danish colonial power. In the song Nunaqarfiit they sang "It is time to live again as Inuit and not as Westerners". The cover of the 1973 record Sumut showed a reproduction of a 19th-century woodcut by Aron of Kangeq depicting an Inuit hunter killing a Danish trader.
The band was dissolved in 1977 but they still perform occasionally, and in 1994 they released the record Persersume "Snowdrift".
- Bours, Etienne (2000). "Sealskin Hits". In Broughton, Simon; Ellingham, Mark. World Music, Vol. 1: Africa, Europe and the Middle East. McConnachie, James and Duane, Orla (Ed.). Rough Guides. p. –145. ISBN 1-85828-636-0.
- Pekka Gronow, Ilpo Saunio. 1999. International History of the Recording Industry. Continuum International Publishing Group p. 184
- "Sume | Gyldendal - Den Store Danske". denstoredanske.dk. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "Der er opstået en fejl på siden". dfi.dk. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "Sume - lyden af den grønlandske revolution | Odense | Fyens.dk". fyens.dk. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "Premiere: Se første trailer til Sume-film | Sermitsiaq.AG". sermitsiaq.ag. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "Danske medier hylder Sume-film | Sermitsiaq.AG". sermitsiaq.ag. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "Dansk premiere på dokumentaren om Sume | KNR". knr.gl. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
|This article on a rock band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|