Summer in the City
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Summer in the City"|
|Single by The Lovin' Spoonful|
|from the album Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful|
|Released||July 4, 1966|
|Genre||Pop rock, psychedelic pop|
|Songwriter(s)||John Sebastian, Mark Sebastian, Steve Boone|
|The Lovin' Spoonful singles chronology|
It appeared on their album Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful and reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100, in August 1966, for three consecutive weeks. The song features a series of car horns during the instrumental bridge, starting with a Volkswagen Beetle horn, and ends with a jackhammer sound in order to give the impression of the sounds of summer in the city. The song became a gold record. It is ranked number 401 on Rolling Stone's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
- John Sebastian - vocals, Vox Continental organ, acoustic guitar, autoharp, sound effects
- Zal Yanovsky - backing vocal, electric guitars
- Steve Boone - bass, Vox Continental organ
- Joe Butler - backing vocal, drums, percussion
- Artie Schroeck – Hohner Pianet electric piano
- "Summer In The City". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- "Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- "Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen. 78 (33): 22. 1966-08-13. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- "The RS 500 Greatest Songs of All Time". Rolling Stone (Wenner Media). 2011-04-07. Archived from the original on 2011-05-27. Retrieved 2018-07-24.
- Go-Set's National Top 40, 12 October 1966
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. 1966-08-22. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "flavour of new zealand - search listener". Flavourofnz.co.nz. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990 - ISBN 0-89820-089-X
- "Top 100 Hits of 1966/Top 100 Songs of 1966". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.