Sunset (2018 film)
Hungarian theatrical release poster
|Directed by||László Nemes|
|Music by||László Melis|
|Edited by||Matthieu Taponier|
Sunset (Hungarian: Napszállta) is 2018 Hungarian historical drama film directed by László Nemes and co-written by Nemes, Clara Royer and Matthieu Taponier. It is set in Budapest before World War I, starring newcomer Juli Jakab and Vlad Ivanov. It premiered at the 75th Venice International Film Festival and was also screened at the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival. It was selected as the Hungarian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 91st Academy Awards, but it was not nominated.
1913, Budapest, in the heart of Europe. The young Irisz Leiter arrives in the Hungarian capital with high hopes to work as a milliner at the legendary hat store that belonged to her late parents. She is nonetheless sent away by the new owner, Oszkár Brill. While preparations are under way at the Leiter hat store, to host guests of uttermost importance, a man abruptly comes to Irisz, looking for a certain Kálmán Leiter. Refusing to leave the city, the young woman follows Kálmán's tracks, her only link to a lost past. Her quest brings her through the dark streets of Budapest, where only the Leiter hat store shines, into the turmoil of a civilization on the eve of its downfall.
- Juli Jakab as Írisz Leiter
- Vlad Ivanov as Oszkár Brill
- Evelin Dobos as Zelma
- Marcin Czarnik as Sándor
- Levente Molnár as Gaspar
- Julia Jakubowska as Countess Rédey
- Christian Harting as Otto von König
- Mihály Kormos as The Caretaker
- Sándor Zsótér as Doctor Herz
- Dorottya Moldován as Lili
- Judit Bárdos as Szeréna
- Susanne Wuest as The Princess
- Tom Pilath as The Prince
- Enrique Keil as Man With Monocle
- Balázs Czukor as Nulla
- Zsolt Nagy as Szilágyi
- Péter Fancsikai as Robert
- Áron Öze as Jubilee Man
- Uwe Lauer as The Colonel
- Urs Rechn as Ismael
- István Pion as Otto von König's Chauffeur
- Björn Freiberg as Man in White
The film received €5 million from the Hungarian National Film Fund and the project is produced by Gabor Sipos and Gabor Rajna through Laokoon Filmgroup. Sunset is being sold and co-produced by French outfit Films Distribution. The film is expected to get support also from Eurimages.
Juli Jakab, who plays the protagonist of the film, was chosen among more than 1,000 Hungarian actresses.
|2018||75th Venice International Film Festival||FIPRESCI||Sunset||Won|
- List of submissions to the 91st Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Hungarian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Sunset". Toronto International Film Festival. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- Elsa Keslassy. "‘Son of Saul’ Director László Nemes to Start Shooting ‘Sunset’". Variety. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "Napszállta". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- "Napszállta". The Numbers. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- "Venice to Kick Off Awards Season With New Films From Coen Brothers, Luca Guadagnino and Alfonso Cuaron". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- "Sunset". www.tiff.net. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- Barraclough, Leo (11 September 2018). "Oscar Winner László Nemes' 'Sunset' to Represent Hungary at Academy Awards". Variety. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Hungarian Film Fund rolls big on Laszlo Nemes' 'Sunset' | News". Screen. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "Eurimages backs Pawel Pawlikowski, Laszlo Nemes in €5.7m funding round | News". Screen. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "Befejeződött Nemes Jeles László új filmjének forgatása". 24.hu. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "Biennale Cinema 2018 | Program Cinema 2018 (Pass holders)". La Biennale di Venezia. 27 July 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- Sándor, Czinkóczi. "Nemes Jeles László filmje kapta a kritikusok díját Velencében - 444". 444 (in Hungarian). Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Biennale Cinema 2018 | Collateral Awards of the 75th Venice Film Festival". La Biennale di Venezia. 8 September 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.