Swearin' to God
|"Swearin' to God"|
|Single by Frankie Valli|
|from the album Closeup|
|Songwriter(s)||Bob Crewe, Denny Randell|
|Frankie Valli singles chronology|
"Swearin' to God" is a song written by Bob Crewe and Denny Randell. It was recorded by Frankie Valli and released in May 1975 as a single from his album Closeup. It's a love song whose lyrical hook is a more literal use of the expression "I swear to God" (i.e., "I mean this sincerely"):
- I'm swearin' to God / So glad He's givin' me you
The first Valli song to incorporate the disco style (it runs four minutes as a single but just over ten minutes on the album), "Swearin' to God" features Patti Austin singing a response to Valli's praise in the bridge. "Swearin' to God" hit number 6 on the U.S. Billboard charts and also charted #31 in the UK.
- Viglione, Joe. "Franki Valli: Closeup". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- Bronson, Fred (October 1, 2003). "Grease (RSO 897): Frankie Valli". The Billboard Book of Number One Hits: Updated and Expanded 5th Edition. Random House Digital. p. 488. ISBN 0823076776. Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- Browne, Ray Broadus; Browne, Pat (2001). "Four Seasons, The". The Guide to United States Popular Culture. Popular Press. p. 296. ISBN 0879728213. Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- "CWMartin" (December 18, 2010). "Step into My Time Machine Week Thirty-Four" (blog). Tilting at Windmills. Blogspot. Retrieved 2013-01-22.
|This 1970s single–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|