Switch (hip-hop DJ)
|Birth name||Anthony John Culverwell|
|Genres||Hip hop, drum and bass, electronica|
DJ Switch is a British DJ and turntablist, based in Birmingham. Notable for having made remarkable achievements in his early teens, he has been crowned world champion three times, and has many appearances on television, radio, magazines, and at major festivals.
Switch won the world DMC DJ championships (specifically in the 'Battle For Supremacy' category) in 2008. He successfully defended his title for the next two years, becoming the first person to achieve a triple-win in the supremacy battle.
In 2011, Switch became the first DJ to have ever performed at the BBC Proms. He was the lead soloist in Gabriel Prokofiev's "Concerto For Turntables & Orchestra", conducted by Vladimir Jurowski & performed by the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain. He has since performed the piece in Venezuela with the Simon Boliviar Youth Orchestra.
Other media appearances
- "DMC World DJ Championships". DMC World DJ Championships.
- "BBC - Proms 2011 Prom 30: National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain". BBC Music Events.
- BBC Proms 2011: Gabriel Prokofiev - Concerto for Turntables and Orchestra. YouTube. 6 August 2011.
- "Concerto for Turntable & Orchestra" llega a Venezuela 22 March 2012
- DJ Switch (DMC Champion) on Blue Peter. YouTube. 13 January 2008.
- "BBC Radio 1Xtra - MistaJam, Tuesday Tuneage with Mistajam - DJ Switch In The Mix". BBC.
- "BBC Radio 1Xtra - Semtex, 'Macklemore & Champion scratch DJs'". BBC.
- DJ-Switch-Interview-Proms.avi. YouTube. 23 August 2011.