Talk:2009 Tamil diaspora protests in Canada/GA1
- Is it reasonably well written?
- Is it factually accurate and verifiable?
- Is it broad in its coverage?
- A. Major aspects:
- B. Focused:
- Is it neutral?
- Fair representation without bias:
- Is it stable?
- No edit wars, etc:
- Does it contain images to illustrate the topic?
- Pass or Fail:
- At first glance, the article looks great: good layout, good prose, good citations. There should be no problem reaching GA status. --Noleander (talk) 19:59, 20 October 2011 (UTC)
- One small issue: the footer navboxes at the bottom have all hidden, but one expanded: "Combatants · Theaters · Campaigns · Battles · Indian involvement". That looks odd, but maybe it is beyond the control of this article. --Noleander (talk) 19:55, 20 October 2011 (UTC)
- The footnotes contain several "dead link" external citations. ... those must be fixed. --Noleander (talk) 19:59, 20 October 2011 (UTC)
- Could you make a pass thru the article and double check the punctuation, etc. I see two examples:
- government.  ... space after period
- of human-shields  ... missing period
- Footnote #16 is not working. Please check all footnotes and make sure they are functional. #16 is http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/abc/home/contentposting.aspx?isfa=1&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V3&showbyline=True&date=true&newsitemid=CTVN
- The article has both a sidebar navbox and a footer navbox for Sri Lankan Civil War. They look nearly identical .. although the footer seems to have more. I dont think there is a WP policy prohibiting two nearly identical navboxes in one article, but it doesnt seem very tidy or encyclopedic. I suggest that one or the other be removed. --Noleander (talk) 20:07, 22 October 2011 (UTC)
- The lead contains some material that is not in the body of the article, e.g. "Further demonstrations took place in Ottawa in front of Parliament Hill, while smaller scale demonstrations took place in Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton. Tamil Canadians took part in Tamil American demonstrations in Washington, D.C. and New York City as well". WP:Lead states that the lead is supposed to summarize the article's body ... so the lead should not have any info that is not also in the body. I'd suggest moving/copying the info from the lead down into the body. Also, please check other statements in the lead for similar issue. --Noleander (talk) 20:11, 22 October 2011 (UTC)
- The lead has some citations. WP:Lead says citations are optional in the lead. Right now the lead is half cited and half not cited. You should choose one way or the other (personally, I prefer leads without cites, but it is your call). If you move/copy the "not in body" material from the lead to the body, you should be able to remove all cites from the lead. --Noleander (talk) 20:11, 22 October 2011 (UTC)
Done, I've included a one line portion of smaller scale demonstrations happening in Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary in the body, but couldn't add more since they weren't as notable as the events that occurred in Toronto and Ottawa, so I still kept that line in the lead. Otherwise, the Tamil American demonstrations line has been removed. Also, the sidebar navbox was removed and footer navbox was kept. All citations in the lead have also been removed from lead and kept in the body. EelamStyleZ (talk) 01:57, 23 October 2011 (UTC)
- Okay, it's looking pretty good. Give me a couple of more days, and if nothing new is found, I think we're golden. --Noleander (talk) 18:30, 24 October 2011 (UTC)
- There are some double links ... for instance in the lead there are two links to Sri Lankan Tamil people. Also, I see two for Sri Lankan civil war. There are several links to Queen's Park (Toronto). The WP MOS policy is to just have the first occurrence of an item be a link. See WP:REPEATLINK. Subsequent mentions are not linked. Could you make a pass thru the article and ensure that there are no double links? --Noleander (talk) 16:03, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
Done Previously, I made sure that links were linked at first occurrence after every level 2 heading, but now I've removed all repeating links altogether. Let me know if there's anymore. EelamStyleZ (talk) 02:39, 26 October 2011 (UTC)