Spirit Pub Company
|Traded as||LSE: PUB|
|Headquarters||Burton upon Trent, England, UK|
(Chief Executive Officer)
|Revenue||£ 800.9 million (2014)|
|£ 121.2 million (2014)|
|£ 99.4 million (2014)|
Spirit Pub Company plc (Spirit) is a pub and restaurant company in the United Kingdom, based in Burton upon Trent and originally formed by Punch Taverns. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
Spirit Group was originally formed by Punch Taverns in 1999 to operate its managed pub estate including pubs acquired from Allied Domecq. Spirit Group was demerged by Punch in 2002. Spirit Group then acquired Scottish & Newcastle’s retail business before itself being re-acquired by Punch in 2006. Spirit was demerged from Punch Taverns for a second time in August 2011.
Spirit has admitted that most of its staff are engaged on zero-hours contracts with short notice of the hours to be worked.
There are around 112 Taylor Walker pubs, mostly in London. The name is taken from the Taylor Walker brewery founded in 1730 in Stepney. The pubs all serve food. Taylor Walker pubs include the Silver Cross Tavern and Ye Olde Cock Tavern.
Spirit's other brands are Chef & Brewer, Fayre & Square, Flaming Grill, John Barras, and Original Pub Company. In addition, Spirit Pub Company operates Wacky Warehouse, the UK’s largest soft play and activity centre brand, and Good Night Inns, a group of hotels next to their pub restaurants.
- "Annual Results 2014" (Press release). Spirit Pub Company. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "History". Spirit Pub. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- Wingett, Mark (1 August 2011). "Spirit shares start trading after Punch demerger". The Publican's Morning Advertizer. Archived from the original on 29 July 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Recommended Offer for Spirit Pub Company PLC ("Spirit") Greene King PLC ("Greene King") to be effected by means of a Scheme of Arrangement under Part 26 of the Companies Act 2006". Spirit Pub. 13 January 2015. Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- "Spirit Group Annual Results 2013" (Press release). Spirit Pub Company. 22 October 2013. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Annual Report 2013". Spirit Pub. p. 73. Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- "Wetherspoon and Spirit Group admit most of their staff are on 'zero hour' contracts". Mail Online. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- Fletcher, Nick. "Spirit Pub Company moves higher on bond restructuring plan". The Guardian. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Taylor Walker & Co Ltd". Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Home page". Spirit Pub. Retrieved 22 December 2014.