Thasus is an insect genus of the Coreidae, or leaf-footed bugs. It is a genus in the New World Nematopodini tribe that feeds on plants. It is chiefly found in Central America, but species also occur in South America, and as far north as the American Southwest.
In 1862, Carl Stål distinguished two types in the then existing Pachylis genus, those where the muscle widening (dilation) of the hind-leg tibia occurs only ventrally (downward), and those where it occurs on both sides (ventrally and dorsally). In 1865, he separated these into two genera, leaving the ventral only type in Pachylis, and moving the three species with the muscle widening on both sides into the newly established genus Thasus. Those three species then became Thasus acutangulus, Thasus gigas and Thasus heteropus. In 1867 he published a key to the two genera. Van Duzee later picked Thasus gigas as the type species (logotype) for the genus, as he felt that it best represented the characteristics of the genus.
- Thasus acutangulus (Stål, 1859)
- Thasus carchinus Brailovsky & Barrera in Brailovsky et al., 1995
- Thasus gigas (Klug, 1835)
- Thasus heteropus (Latreille, 1811)
- Thasus luteolus Brailovsky & Barrera in Brailovsky et al., 1995
- Thasus neocalifornicus Brailovsky & Barrera in Brailovsky et al., 1995
- Thasus odonnellae Schaefer & Packauskas in Brailovsky et al., 1995
- Thasus rutilus Brailovsky & Barrera in Brailovsky et al., 1995
- Thasus at the Encyclopedia of Life
- Forbes, Gregory & Schaefer, Carl W. (2003). "Further notes on the genus Thasus (Hemiptera: Heteroptera: Coreidae)". Journal of the New York Entomological Society. 111 (4): 235–241. doi:10.1664/0028-7199(2003)111[0235:FNOTGT]2.0.CO;2. JSTOR 25010473.
- O'Shea, Rodney (1980). "A generic revision of the Nematopodini (Heteroptera: Coreidae: Coreinae)". Studies on Neotropical Fauna and Environment. 15 (3/4): 197–225. doi:10.1080/01650528009360574.
- Brailovsky, Harry; Schaefer, Carl W.; Barrera, Ernesto & Packauskas, Richard J. (1994). "A Revision of the Genus Thasus (Hemiptera: Coreidae: Coreinae: Nematopodini)" (PDF). Journal of the New York Entomological Society. 102 (3): 318–343. JSTOR 25010094. Archived (PDF) from the original on 20 January 2014.
- Van Duzee; Edward Payson (1916). Check list of the Hemiptera (excepting the Aphididœ, Aleurodidœ and Coccidœ) of America, north of Mexico. New York: New York Entomological Society. p. 11.
|This Pentatomomorpha article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|