The Bonnie J. Addario a Breath Away from the Cure Foundation
The Bonnie J. Addario a Breath Away from the Cure Foundation (ABAFTC), now styled Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation (BJALCF) on their website, is a foundation created by Bonnie J. Addario to eradicate lung cancer through research, early detection, education, prevention and treatment. It is made up of volunteers, people in the medical profession, and lung cancer survivors. The Foundation has three goals: 1) to raise public awareness about the relative lack of attention given to lung cancer in biomedical research, 2) to help lung cancer patients navigate the healthcare system to receive the best available care, and 3) to enlist the aid of physicians and biomedical scientists in transforming cancer research. The Foundation is based in San Carlos, California.
BJALCF provides funding for lung cancer research, early detection, education, prevention and treatment. The Foundation is one of the only private providers of lung cancer research and community outreach programs.
The Foundation was founded by Bonnie J. Addario, a lung cancer survivor, on March 6, 2006, the same day Dana Reeve died from lung cancer. This Foundation was formed in response to the fact that lung cancer is under-funded and under-researched based on the amount of research dollars allocated per death.  In 2005, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) spent $204 million on breast and cervical cancer research. However, no money was allocated to lung cancer, the leading cause of cancer death in both men and women. The lack of funding, coupled with the complexity of the disease, has helped prevent lung cancer from making significant advances in its five-year survival rate. According to the American Cancer Society, the five-year survival rate has remained at approximately 15% since 1971. The Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation set out to change this seeming lack of progress by bringing lung cancer to national attention and establishing the Addario Lung Cancer Medical Institute (ALCMI), an international endeavor partnering academic institutions and community hospitals to advance treatment.
- Founder and Chair - Bonnie J. Addario
- Cofounder - David M. Jablons, M.D.
- Vice President - Julie B. Harkins
- Secretary and Treasurer - Sheila Von Driska
Medical Advisory Board
- Fred Marcus, MD
- Lisa Boohar, MD
- Carolyn Clary-Macy, RN, OCN
- David R. Gandara, MD
- R. Ronald Hare, MD
- Claudia Henschke, PhD, MD, FCCP
- David Jablons, MD
- Thierry Jahan, MD
- Alan Kramer, MD
- Melissa Lim, MD
- Mary S. Maish, MD, MPH
- Michael S. O’Holleran, MD
- Rafael Rosell, MD, PhD
- Paul Scheinberg, MD
- Pierre Theodore, MD
- Katherine Tully, R.N.
Bonnie J. Addario
Bonnie J. Addario is the Founder and Chair of the BJALCF. In that role, Addario works with a diverse group of physicians, organizations, and individuals to identify solutions and make timely and meaningful change through research, early detection, education, prevention, and treatment.
Addario is a lung cancer survivor and an experienced leader with almost 25 years experience in managing a large oil company and is nationally recognized as a business leader. She was President of both the Commercial Fueling Network and Olympian Oil Company. She was a member of Petroleum Marketers of America, the Society of Independent Gasoline Marketers of America, a board member of the California Independent Oil Marketers, and was their first female president. A frequent presenter and speaker, Addario has been featured in numerous publications including The San Mateo County Times, UCSF Philanthropy Insider and The Oakland Tribune, and was featured with Hollywood star Robin Williams in a fundraising film for the University of California, San Francisco’s Thoracic Oncology department. As an active member of the community Addario serves on the boards of the aforementioned UCSF's Thoracic Oncology Program, Fifth Business, and the CHW-Sequoia Hospital Foundation. She is a mother of three grown children and grandmother of seven.
- The Bonnie J. Addario a Breath Away from the Cure Foundation
- ABAFTC's Lung Cancer LungBlog
- Putting Drug Development In Patients' Hands
- Putting Drug Development In Patients' Hands
- Domenico Wines Partners with BJALCF
- National Lung Cancer Organizations
- BJALCF Independent Charities of America Page
- San Francisco Chronicle Photo Exhibit
- Sequoia Hospital Feature on Lung Cancer Early Detection
- UCSF Thoracic Surgery News Item on BJALCF
- SF Chronicle Feature on Bonnie J. Addario
- UCSF - Lung Cancer Now Is the Focus of Powerful Genetics Research
- UCSF Thoracic Oncology Program History
- Elyse's Big Adventure Blog
- A Cancer Fighting Rock Star
- San Mateo County Daily Journal Feature on BJALCF
- Lung Cancer Alliance Funding Request to NIH & NCI
- CBS Jefferson Award Winner Bonnie Addario
- South Carolinians Against Lung Cancer
- Twitter Challenge for ABAFTC
- Cheers for the Survivors
- WTF - Simply the Best Gala 2009 Recap
- "Storming the Silos". LSF Magazine (Fall). 2012. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "The Right Woman for the Job: The Bonnie J. Addario Story". LSF Magazine (Summer). 2012.
- "Cancer Research Funding". National Cancer Institute. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- "Fall Year 2005 CDC Budget Request - Funding by Disease" (PDF). Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- "Lung Cancer" (PDF). American Cancer Society. Retrieved 2009-12-09.