The Collaboration: Hollywood's Pact with Hitler
First edition cover
|Audio read by||Oliver Wyman|
|Cover artist||Hulton-Deutsch Collection/Corbis Images|
|Subject||Motion picture industry|
|September 9, 2013|
|Media type||Print (hardcover and paperback)|
|LC Class||PN1993.5.G3 U79 2013|
The Collaboration: Hollywood's Pact with Hitler is a 2013 non-fiction book by Ben Urwand. It was published on September 9, 2013 by Belknap Press, an imprint of Harvard University Press. It is about cooperation between 1930s U.S. filmmakers and Nazi Germany.
According to the book the assistance was done for monetary reasons and because some film industry executives who were Jewish believed that antisemitism would increase if films were too obviously pleading for assistance for Jews. Urwand believes that the studio heads willingly assisted the Nazis. The author argued that the filmmakers feared that German authorities would prohibit American films and put anti-American content in German films if American film companies refused to co-operate, which means American filmmakers would have had no way to have a say in the German market. Edward Helmore of The Observer wrote that "Urwand's interpretation of the relationship is disputed by other scholars of the period."
Ofer Ashkenazi of Hebrew University wrote in a review of the book that in addition to "shameless profit-seeking" the American film executives also considered "a logical, albeit not heroic, survival strategy" as the industry also faced anti-Semitic sentiment.
Archival materials were used as part of the book, including letters.
- Ashkenazi, Ofer (2016). "Ben Urwand, The Collaboration: Hollywood's Pact with Hitler. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2013. 327 pp.". In Lederhendler, Eli; Gabriel N. Finder (eds.). A Club of Their Own: Jewish Humorists and the Contemporary World. doi:10.1093/acprof:oso/9780190646127.003.0020. ISBN 9780190646127.
- "The Collaboration (Audiobook) by Ben Urwand". Audible. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- "Markets and the Movie Industry". Harvard Magazine. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- Bukiet, Melvin Jules. ""The Collaboration: Hollywood's Pact with Hitler," by Ben Urwand". Washington Post. Retrieved 2019-10-15.
- Helmore, Edward (2013-06-29). "Hollywood and Hitler: did the studio bosses bow to Nazi wishes?". The Observer. Retrieved 2019-10-15.
- Ashkenazi, p. 2/4.
- Ashkenazi, p. 4/4.
- Quinn, Anthony (2013-10-16). "The Collaboration: Hollywood's Pact with Hitler by Ben Urwand – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 2019-10-15.
- "The Collaboration: Hollywood's Pact with Hitler". Publisher's Weekly. 2013-07-22. Retrieved 2019-10-15.
- "THE COLLABORATION". Kirkus Reviews. 2013-07-07. Retrieved 2019-10-15. - Review date is July 15, 2013, while online publishing is July 7, 2013.
- Denby, David (2013-09-23). "How Could Harvard Have Published Ben Urwand's "The Collaboration"?". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2019-10-15.
|This article about a non-fiction book on film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|