The Decline of Western Civilization III
|The Decline of Western Civilization Part III|
The theatrical poster
|Directed by||Penelope Spheeris|
|Produced by||Ross Albert|
Guy J. Louthan
|Edited by||Ross Albert|
|Distributed by||Spheeris Films|
The Decline of Western Civilization III is a 1998 documentary film, directed by Penelope Spheeris, that chronicles the gutter punk lifestyle of homeless teenagers. It is the third film of a trilogy by Spheeris depicting life in Los Angeles at various points in time. The first film, The Decline of Western Civilization (1981), dealt with the punk rock scene during 1980-1981. The second film, The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years (1988), covers the Los Angeles heavy metal movement of 1986-1988.
Spheeris would later credit the 1998 film with having a profound effect on her. She began a relationship with Eyeball, one of the homeless youth featured in the movie, signed up to be a foster parent, and eventually fostered five kids.
The film involves gutter punks who take the anti-establishment message with extreme seriousness and tune out society completely. Spheeris talks to homeless teenagers living on the street or squatting in abandoned buildings in Los Angeles, as well as an unstable mother, Los Angeles Police Department officer Gary Fredo, and a paralyzed youth living on disability.
Reception and distribution
The film premiered at the 1998 Sundance Film Festival where it won the Freedom of Expression Award. It was also screened at the Cannes Film Festival and the Chicago Underground Film Festival, where it received a jury award. However, it never went into general release and was not available on VHS or DVD until the release in 2015 of a box set containing all three films on DVD and blu-ray. Decline III was also released separately via streaming video.
- Friedman, Ann. "Penelope Spheeris: 'I sold out and took the money'". The Guardian. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- Eric, Ducker. "Talking to Penelope Spheeris about time, rock 'n' roll, and The Decline of Western Civilization". The Rage. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- Snapes, Laura. "The Punk Director: Penelope Spheeris Revisits Her Decline of Western Civilization Trilogy". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Official site of the series
- The Decline of Western Civilization III on IMDb
- The Decline of Western Civilization III at AllMovie
- The Decline of Western Civilization III at Rotten Tomatoes
|This article about a documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|