The Discovery Museums
The Children's Discovery Museum
|Location||177 Main Street (Route 27)
Acton, Massachusetts 01720
|Director||Neil H. Gordon|
|Public transit access||MBTA: South Acton|
The Discovery Museums is a non-profit science and children's museum in Acton, Massachusetts, United States. Established in 1982, the Children's Discovery Museum and the Science Discovery Museum share a 4.5-acre (18,000 m2) campus.
The Children's Discovery Museum was founded in 1982 by Donald B. Verger, a math teacher and naturalist. The Science Discovery Museum opened in 1988. An additional parcel that increased the campus size by half was purchased and a new master plan was commissioned in 2008.
The Children's Discovery Museum current exhibits include the Assabet River Water Table, Bessie's Play Diner, Air Play, Backyard at Night, Sensations, S.S. Discover, the Chain Reaction Room, the Adventure fort, and the Train Room. Former exhibits include the Rainbow Room, Safari Room, Dinosaur Room, and Grandma's Attic.
The Science Discovery Museum permanent exhibits include Earth Science, Inventor's Workshop, Rubber Ball Music Wall, and Sea of Clouds.
The Children's Discovery Museum is housed in a 3-story Victorian house, built in 1880, that has 3,500 square feet (330 m2) of floor space in ten rooms. The Science Discovery Museum is housed in a purpose-built postmodern building designed by E. Verner Johnson & Associates. It has 8,200 square feet (760 m2) of floor space.
- Donald Verger
- Kathleen Compton
- Deborah Gilpin (1992-2003)
- Michael W. Judd
- Bergeron, Chris (2007-11-04). "25 years of Discovery". MetroWest Daily News.
- Weld, Elizabeth New (1989-04-09). "Discovering science hands-on". Boston Globe.
- "Discovery Museums picks Cambridge Seven for project". Boston Business Journal. 2008-03-06.
- Heaney, Sally (2004-09-16). "New exhibition at Discovery Museum". Boston Globe.
'Sensations! Sensory Exploration for the Very Young' is a new Children's Discovery Museum exhibition... that will be open to the public for the first time...
- "It's full steam ahead at Acton's Discovery Museum". Lowell Sun. 2001-10-11.
The Children's Discovery Museum, 177 Main St., Acton, is right on track with its new Train Room...
- Anderson, Leslie (2002-09-19). "Discovery Museums mark 20 years of learning". Boston Globe.
- Burns, Nancy V. (2004-01-15). "Inventor's gadgets bring stirring music to students' ears". The Boston Globe.
The Discovery Museums in Acton commissioned [Leonard] Solomon to build a permanent exhibit in 1998. He came up with the Rubber Ball Music Wall...
- Campbell, Robert (1988-08-09). "Post-Modernism put to excellent use in Acton". Boston Globe.
Surely the architectural style known as Post-Modernism has never been used to better effect than at the new Science Discovery Museum in Acton.
- Cook, Joan (1987-11-22). "Going On in the Northeast". New York Times.
- Floyd, Jesse A. (2003-06-28). "Museum makes a 'Discovery' with new director". Milford Daily News.