The Hippos (Australian band)
|Origin||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Genres||Blues and Roots|
|Labels||Stoat Records, WEA, Exile Records|
|Past members||Leszek Karski|
The Hippos were an Australian blues band formed in Sydney in 1985. The band released three albums in their time together and were nominated for three ARIA Music Awards at the ARIA Music Awards of 1989 for their song "Dark Age"
The original band members included:
- Leszek (Lez) Karski - guitar, lead vocals. (Left to join the Bondi Cigars.)
- John Power - bass, lead vocals.
- Ace Follington - drums. (Left to join the Bondi Cigars.)
- Ian Jones - saxophone, percussion, backing vocals.
- Bridie King - keyboards, percussion, backing vocals.
Other musicians included:
- David McBride - trombone. (Hippocracy)
- Nigel Harris - trumpet. (Hippocracy)
- Tim Reeves - drums.
- Matt Morrison - drums.
- Rory McKibbon - guitar.
- Phil Groves - keyboards.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart|
|Creatures from the Back Saloon||
|Mammal on the Move||
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Breaking Up Somebody's Home"||1988||—||Hippocracy|
|"Time and Motion"||1989||—||Hippocalypse|
|"Eat at Home"||1990||—|
ARIA Music Awards
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|1989||"Dark Age"||ARIA Award for Breakthrough Artist – Single||Nominated|
|Les Karski & Guy Gray for "Dark Age"||ARIA Award for Producer of the Year||Nominated|
|Guy Gray for "Dark Age"||ARIA Award for Engineer of the Year||Nominated|
- "The Hippos". australianbluesmusic. Retrieved 1 August 2020.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 139. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988–2010 (PDF ed.). Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- "ARIA Awards Search Results - The Hippos". ARIA Awards. ARIA Awards. Retrieved 1 August 2020.