The Image (film)
DVD cover of The Image
|Directed by||Radley Metzger|
|Produced by||Gill Champion|
|Written by||Jake Barnes & Catherine Robbe-Grillet|
|Starring||Rebecca Brooke, Carl Parker & Marilyn Roberts|
|Cinematography||René Lefèvre & Gaston Muller|
|Distributed by||Synapse Films|
The Image is a 1975 American adult drama that was re-released in an edited version in 1976. The film is also known by two other titles: The Punishment of Anne and The Mistress and the Slave and was directed by Radley Metzger. The film is based upon the classic 1956 sadomasochistic novel L'Image, written by Catherine Robbe-Grillet and published under the pseudonym of "Jean de Berg".
The story of middle-aged Jean, a writer (played by Carl Parker), who meets an old friend, Claire, a lesbian and also middle-aged (played by Marilyn Roberts), and is soon drawn into her world of sadomasochism, in which they torture Claire's youthful slave, Anne (Mary Mendum, aka Rebecca Brooke and Metzger's girlfriend at the time).
The movie's structure is divided in 10 chapters, separated by white writing on a black background:
- An Evening at the X...'s
- The Roses in Bagatelle Gardens
- Too Much Water and Its Consequences
- False Starts
- The Photographs
- An Expiatory Sacrifice
- The Fitting Room
- In the Bathroom
- The Gothic Chamber
- Everything Resolves Itself
- "Anyone into sado-masochism will get obvious fulfillment by watching the surface physical thrills that Metzger provides. The true fulfillment for this viewer was delving deeper into the themes of dominance and submission that the characters were exploring in their relationships." – Boris Lugosi
- "This is a must own for anyone interested in the fetishes portrayed (graphic oral sex, bondage, whipping, and urination), and also for those who would like to see what quality porn can look like."
In 2011, Synapse Films re-released The Image on Blu-ray and DVD. The original 35mm negatives were scanned to facilitate the high definition release. In addition to the visual remastering, the audio was also reworked for the re-release, adding DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 to the Blu-ray. Synapse also created new cover art for the re-release.
The Image received mixed critical reviews. Buzz Burgess of DVDTalk gave the film four out of five stars for content, stating that "Metzger [...] has created a piece argued by some to be the best erotic film ever made." Charles Tatum, of eFilmCritic.com disliked the film, awarding it just two out of five stars, citing a lack of substance, "The Image is just that- pretty pictures of pretty people whipping each other during sexual sessions. Its infamy is understandable, but not deserved." Michael Den Boer praised the actor's performances, especially Brooke's, even implying that she carried the film with her portrayal of Anne. Although initially praised in Germany, the film became controversial later, and withdrawn from circulation.
- Lentz III, Harris M. (2013). Obituaries in the Performing Arts. Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Co. p. 197. ISBN 9780786470631. Retrieved 15 November 2015.
- "Venus Revealed: The Pubic Wars 4 1972 Part 2". Venus Observations. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- Pryce. "Laura's Toys". Sex Gore Mutants. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- "Tuesday Morning Foreign Region DVD Report: "Thundercrack!" (Curt McDowell, 1975)". MUBI. 3 August 2010. Retrieved 18 August 2015.
- Lugosi, Boris. "The Punishment of Anne (1976)". GirlsGunsAndGhouls.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Tuna" und Johnny Web (Uncle Scoopy), The Image (1998)
- Thompson, Nathaniel. "Mondo-Digital Review: The Image". Mondo-Digital.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Atanasov, Dr. Svet (11 June 2011). "The Image Blu-ray Review". www.blu-ray.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Burgess, Buzz (21 October 2002). "DVD Video Reviews: The Image". www.dvdtalk.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Baty, Greg (18 May 2011). "The Image (1975, Review) Synapse Blu-ray". Cinesploitation.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Feng, Eddie (8 July 2002). "IMAGE, THE - DVD review". MovieMet.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.[dead link]
- Tatum, Charles (5 January 2011). "Image, The". eFilmCritic.com. HBS Entertainment, Inc. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Den Boer, Michael (2 May 2011). "Image, The (BluRay)". 10kbullets.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
So much of this film relies on her performance and she does not disappoint.
- Koch, Marco (4 June 2014). "Radley Metzgers Meisterwerk "The Image" in Deutschland beschlagnahmt". FilmForum-Bremen.de (in German). Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- The Image at the Internet Movie Database
- Punishment of Anne (1975) at the Internet Adult Film Database