The Inner Circle (dating site)
Type of site
|Online dating service|
|Owner||Circle Imperium BV|
|Alexa rank||163,126 (May 2016[update])|
The Inner Circle is a selective social networking dating app for young professionals who live in the same city operating on an invitation-only structure. Its user interface is similar to that of Facebook. The Inner Circle is owned by Circle Imperium B.V., with offices based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
The Inner Circle was founded in 2012 by David Vermeulen and Michael Krayenhoff. The website was originally launched in Amsterdam  and is also available in Barcelona, London, Milan, Paris, Stockholm and Berlin. The Inner Circle and Tinder changed the perception of online dating under[clarification needed] young professionals in the Netherlands according to national newspaper de Volkskrant.
In July 2018 the website had 900,000 members and had 450,000 applicants on the waiting list. In February 2015, The Inner Circle was among the Netherlands' top-ten most visited dating websites. The revenue model is a combination of subscriptions, events, and partnerships. The Inner Circle has no outside funding, and has been profitable since its inception.
The network/app operates in a similar way to many dating sites: there are "like" functions, photo browsing, profile building, and ways to interact and chat. The app focuses on accountability to encourage respect and uses social network analysis for making connections. The website also has features similar to Facebook. Users post plans to go out to bars and clubs; users traveling to London can ask for advice and meet-ups. Members of The Inner Circle get to invite five friends each, who are screened before approval. Users can access the platform through a website, or an iOS or Android app.
Awards and nominations
- Newcomer Website of the Year at the UK dating awards (2014, won)
- Best London Dating Event at the UK dating awards (2014, won)
- Best Dating Events Brand of 2015 at the UK dating awards (2015, won)
- Best Niche Dating Site 2016 at the Euro Dating Awards (2016, won)
- Online Dating Brand of the Year 2016 at the UK dating awards (2016, won)
- Most Disruptive Innovator 2017 at Deloitte Technology Fast 50 (2017, won)
- "TheInnerCircle.co Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- Rubin, Gareth "The year of dating selectively: finding love in 2016 means keeping out undesirables" The Observer 3 January 2016.
- Pelikaan, Lizette "Steeds meer superkoppels" Nederlandse Omroep Stichting Nieuwsuur
- Kraak, Haro, "Internetdaten is ook onder jongeren sociaal geaccepteerd geraakt", de Volkskrant 21 december 2013.
- Shead, Sam "The Inner Circle: Behind the scenes at a dating app's exclusive London polo party" TechWorld 13 August 2015.
- "Duedil: Circle Imperium B.V." Duedil 15 September 2016.
- van Groningen, Elco "The Next Global Tech Hotspot? Amsterdam Stakes Its Claim" Bloomberg 23 May 2016.
- C van Berkel, "De mens achter theinnercircle.co", Elsevier 20 May 2013, p. 82.
- Hackett, Geraldine "Get your startup off the ground by studying a master's" The Guardian 12 June 2015.
- McCrum, Kirstie "Exclusive dating app launched for ambitious and elite professionals - would you pass the criteria?" Mirror 2 June 2015.
- Shead, Sam "An elite dating app is trying its luck in edgy Berlin" Business Insider 10 August 2016.
- Libbenga, Jan "Hot: onrust op de online datingmarkt" Emerce 21 July 2018.
- Mann, Olly "The Tinder illuminati – Tech weekly podcast" The Guardian 10 March 2016.
- Klaassen, Eric "Top Datingsites" Dating Insider 21 February 2015.
- "Liefdewerk Duur Papier", Quote, 362 (December 2014), p. 90-97.
- Prosser, David "Small Business Person of The Week: Singles on our site are able to meet like-minded people" The Independent 15 February 2016
- Murcoch, Cassie "No ghosts allowed: An elite dating app makes you mind your manners" Mashable 19 May 2017.
- Barry, Joshua "We checked out the London dating app that is restricted to successful attractive people only" Business Insider 24 March 2015.
- Benmiloud, Hadjar "Piloot (32) zoekt vrouw met status" Metro International 3 april 2013.
- Masters, Dave "Appy Valentine's weekend - 5 downloads to get you in the mood for love" Mirror, 12 February 2016
- M. Straathof, "We maken een kringetje van jongens en van meisjes", De Parool 16 March 2013, p. 24-27.
- Hancock, Lucy "Looking for Love with London's Horny Poshos at an Elite Dating Night" VICE 19 June 2015.
- Alderton, Dolly "It's a date" Sunday Times, 5 April 2015
- "Winners". UK Dating Awards. Retrieved 27 May 2015.
- "Winners". Euro Dating Awards. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- Smit, Maxime "Joods daten? Daten voor baardliefhebbers? Bestaat." Het Parool, 13 May 2016
- "Winners". UK Dating Awards. Retrieved 23 Oct 2017.
- "Winners". Deloitte. Retrieved 23 Oct 2017.
- Redactie, Emerce "SendCloud snelst groeiende technologiebedrijf van Nederland" Emerce, 13 Oct 2017