|Big Finish Productions audio drama|
|Release date||April 2006|
The Kingmaker is a Big Finish Productions audio drama based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. The drama was written by Nev Fountain who is better known for his work on the radio and television series Dead Ringers, and also stars Jon Culshaw who in the same programmes is known for his impression of Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor.
The Doctor travels to the 15th century to investigate the mystery of the Princes in the Tower, to fulfil a contract to write a series of children's books. Is there another time traveller on the loose? And just why is there a robot in the TARDIS?
- The Doctor — Peter Davison
- Peri — Nicola Bryant
- Erimem — Caroline Morris
- Richard, Duke of Gloucester — Stephen Beckett
- Earl Rivers/Voice of the Fourth Doctor — Jon Culshaw
- Mr Seyton — Michael Fenton Stevens
- Henry, Duke of Buckingham — Marcus Hutton
- Judith — Linzi Matthews
- Sir James Tyrell — Chris Neill
- Clarrie — Arthur Smith
- Susan — Katie Wimpenny
- Jon Culshaw does his famous Tom Baker impression when the Fifth Doctor listens to the Fourth Doctor's dictated notes for the incomplete (and fictional) work "Doctor Who Discovers Historical Mysteries".
- This audiobook features the appearance of a new series Doctor as, in a way, the Ninth Doctor is part of the plot.
Matt Michael, reviewing the audio for Doctor Who Magazine, criticised it strongly, calling it "over-engineered and overlong", and saying that it "can't make its mind up whether it wants to be comedy or tragedy, and ends up doing neither very well."
- Michael, Matt (21 June 2006). "Off The Shelf: The Kingmaker". Doctor Who Magazine (370): 63.