The Oz Principle (book)
The Oz Principle: Getting Results Through Individual and Organizational Accountability is a leadership book written by Roger Connors, Tom Smith, and Craig Hickman. It was first published in 1994.
The Oz Principle examines the role of accountability in the achievement of business results and the improvement of both individual and organizational performance. The Oz Principle presents a new understanding and a paradigm shift in how accountability is understood. The Oz Principle defines accountability as “a personal choice to rise above one’s circumstances and demonstrate the ownership necessary for achieving desired results to See It, Own It, Solve It, and Do It.” The book is organized around the Steps To Accountability model, which shows how to create both individual and organization accountability for achieving results. The model is divided in half by a line that “separates success from failure," with Above The Line being the area of "accountability and success" and Below The Line being the area "self-victimization and failure."
Reception and recognition
The Oz Principle is one of the top five bestselling books in the Leadership and Performance categories since 1994, and for the last 15 years it has been in the top 30 bestselling books. It is also a New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Publisher’s Weekly bestselling book. In addition, it was selected as a Top 5 Book Pick by the Banff Centre, which focuses on leadership development, as well as being called "a must read" by the Business Book Bestseller List in their February 2013 list.
- "5 Leadership Lessons From The Mormon Tabernacle Choir" Forbes. Retrieved 2104-9-26.
- "Henry Kissinger’s ‘World Order’ debuts at No. 2" The Washington Post. Retrieved 2014-9-26.
- Oz Principle" The Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved 2104-9-26.
- Laurie J. Brenner. “What it Means to be Responsible and Accountable in the Workplace” The Nest. Retrieved 2014-9-26.
- (July 2012) “How to Be Accountable in Hospital Medicine” The Hospitalist. Retrieved 2014-9-26.
- Charlene Renberg Winters. (Winter 2012) “The Yellow Brick Road to Accountability” BYU Magazine. Retrieved 2014-9-26.
- (24 May 2011) “The Oz Principle: A Review by Kristen Jacobsen” Catalyst Online. Retrieved 2014-9-26.
- (June 2009) “The Corporate Quest: Attaining New Levels” Integral Leadership Review. Retrieved 2014-9-26.
- (Winter 2004/2005) "Top Five Book Picks" Leadership Compass Magazine. Retrieved 2014-9-26.
- "The Business Book Best Seller List" 800CEORead. Retrieved 2014-9-26.
- Partners in Leadership Official site