The Secret Life of the American Teenager (season 4)
|The Secret Life of the American Teenager (season 4)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||24|
|Original network||ABC Family|
|Original release||June 13, 2011 – June 4, 2012|
The fourth season of The Secret Life of the American Teenager, an American television series created by Brenda Hampton, debuted on the ABC Family television network on Monday, June 13, 2011 at 8:00 PM. During its third season's hiatus, ABC Family announced on January 10, 2011, that the show would be renewed for a fourth season. The fourth season premiered on June 13, 2011, one week after the season 3 finale. The second half of the season premiered on March 26, 2012. On February 2, 2012, ABC Family announced that Secret Life was being renewed for a fifth and final season.
- Shailene Woodley as Amy Juergens
- India Eisley as Ashley Juergens
- Daren Kagasoff as Ricky Underwood
- Kenny Baumann as Benjamin 'Ben' Boykewich
- Francia Raisa as Adrian Lee Boykewich
- Megan Park as Grace Bowman
- Greg Finley as Jack Pappas
- Steve Schirripa as Leo Boykewich
- Molly Ringwald as Anne Juergens
- Mark Derwin as George Juergens
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|74||1||"When One Door Closes..."||Keith Truesdell||Brenda Hampton||June 13, 2011||3.07|
|Amy goes to visit Adrian, and she tells her that she's moving in with Ricky. At school Ben is having a really bad time and tells Amy how he feels about what he said about not wanting to be a husband and having a baby.|
|75||2||"...Another One Opens"||Anson Williams||Brenda Hampton||June 20, 2011||2.71|
|Ricky finds out from Ben that Amy told Adrian that they moved in together; meanwhile, Ben starts telling people that he wants out of the marriage and starts bad mouthing Ricky and Amy's relationship. Ricky confronts Amy about her lying to him about how her dad found out that she moved in with him but later forgives her, and they both agree to be honest with each other no matter what.|
|76||3||"When Opportunity Knocks"||Keith Truesdell||Brenda Hampton||June 27, 2011||2.81|
|Ricky's parents find out that Ricky and Amy are living together and ask Amy and Ricky why he didn't tell them.|
|77||4||"One Foot Out the Door"||Gail Bradley||Paul Perlove||July 4, 2011||1.60|
|Amy suspects John has an ear infection and persuades Ricky that they need to take John to the hospital. While at the hospital Ricky talks to an ER nurse, he keeps calling Amy his "wife" without noticing. The doctor tells Amy and Ricky that there is nothing wrong with John only that when Amy and Ricky raise their voices John holds his hand to his ear and says '0w'. Ricky and Amy promise to not argue with each other around John.|
|78||5||"Hole in the Wall"||Keith Truesdell||Brenda Hampton||July 11, 2011||2.69|
|Ben has a fight with Adrian after she cleared out their daughter's nursery without telling him, giving away the bear that Ben was given by his mother. Ben storms out and Adrian punches a hole in the wall of the nursery.|
|79||6||"Don't Go in There!"||Anson Williams||Elaine Arata||July 18, 2011||2.58|
|Ben wakes up hung-over and decides to move out of his apartment with Adrian. Adrian surprises everyone and returns to school and, to Ben's dismay, acts like nothing is wrong. A nervous Rachel leaves Tom alone with the children while she goes on a business trip. It turns out Tom isn't as excited about being a parent as he thought he would be. Adrian learns from Katelyn (the guidance counselor) if she continues with summer school she'll graduate in time for college in the fall. Adrian lies to Amy and everyone else at school and pretends that she and Ben are happy. Ricky has an interview at a local college, but the interview goes horribly wrong when the interviewer (Karlee Carmichael) hits on him. The situation gets worse when a scorned Karlee tells Katelyn that Ricky won't be getting into school there because he tried to pressure her into sex. Reverend Stone lets slip to Kathleen that Grace's new boyfriend, Daniel, is in college. Daniel stops by to meet Kathleen; she actually takes a liking to him and they end up playing a prank on Grace. Grace tries to sneak out of the house to meet Daniel but ends up in his car alone while Daniel's inside eating dinner with Kathleen. Adrian begs Ben to be civil and at least hold hands with her at school. Ben decides to move back in with Adrian just as friends and he tells her he'll live in the nursery. Adrian couldn't be happier.|
|80||7||"Cute"||Keith Truesdell||Jeffrey Rodgers||July 25, 2011||2.90|
|Amy wants to help Ricky with his problems with Karlee. He protests and is upset that she went to the school counselor to discuss this problem. Amy finds Karlee at the university campus and keenly speaks with her. Later on, Amy calls Toby and asks him about Karlee. He says that his stepsister has problems with promiscuity. Nora and Ben go to a restaurant, but they find Ollie and Ruben together. Ollie wants Nora back, but Nora can't resume their relationship. Ruben asks Ben if he would really leave Adrian after what they've been through. The waiter at the restaurant mixes up orders and gives Nora and Ben a bottle of wine. Nora gets drunk after two years of abstinence from alcohol.|
|81||8||"Dancing With the Stars"||Gail Bradley||Brenda Hampton||August 1, 2011||2.35|
|After talking to Amy and playing with John, Adrian decides she wants to be pregnant again.|
|82||9||"Flip Flop"||Keith Truesdell||Kelley Turk & Courtney Turk||August 8, 2011||2.53|
|Adrian has a change of heart about Ben and instead focuses her energy on getting Ricky back, which brings out Amy's insecurities. Elsewhere, Nora tries to pick up the pieces of her life and rent a room from George.|
|83||10||"4-1-1"||Anson Williams||Brenda Hampton||August 15, 2011||2.42|
|Amy feels guilty about checking Ricky's phone. Amy's father and friends assure her that he has checked hers in the past and Ricky confirms it. Meanwhile, a young friend of Ricky's, Ethan, shows up. Madison regrets breaking up with Jack. Elsewhere, Grace plays matchmaker for Adrian by introducing her to a pal of Daniel's named Dante. Ricky and Amy make up and decide to do something crazy together.|
|84||11||"The Games We Play"||Gail Bradley||Brenda Hampton & Elaine Arata||August 22, 2011||2.51|
|Adrian is introduced to Omar, the brother of one of Daniel's friends. Ricky tells John about his plans to propose to Amy.|
|85||12||"Pomp"||Lindsley Parsons III||Brenda Hampton||August 29, 2011||2.38|
|Lauren and Madison try to convince their parents to let them go to Jesse's graduation party at his parents' lakehouse which is 50 miles away. Ricky is named class valedictorian but doesn't want to write the speech for the graduation ceremony which he does anyway. Meanwhile, Amy tries to convince Ricky to attend the graduation party but he tells her that it's going to be a special evening even if they won't go there. Ricky tells Bunny that he is going to propose to Amy which makes her very happy. He also tells his foster mother who is thrilled. The school counselor gets Jack to write the prayer and Jack gets Grace to help him. Tom is a little disappointed in Jack that he uses Grace's need to help people to do something with Grace. Even though Grace tells everyone she doesn't want to go to the party since her boyfriend is so mature, she wants her mother to allow her to go there. Adrian learns that she will graduate with her class. Adrian admits to Ricky that she still loves him and says that one day they will have sex again so he tries to persuade her to go to a different school in the fall than he does. Grace thinks it's wrong of Adrian to go after Omar, Dante's brother. Omar visits Adrian in the condo where they kiss, he tells her that she won't kiss Ricky again because then she will think about him and this kiss. However she asks Grace for a way to kiss Ricky that she can compare his kisses to Omar's. Alice and Henry explain to Ben that they share custody, so they take turns with Ben. Since Henry wants to go the party together with Ben and Alice wants to hang out with Ben just like they always did on the last day of school, Alice and Henry agree that both of them shouldn't be friends with Ben. Katherine, Grace's mother really misses her husband Jeff which us why she thinks about visiting him for a week in Kenya. Leo is very contented by Nora's work as his assistant and he goes out for an after-work drink with Camille. George thinks that Anne is gay and that she and Nora have a romance. Betty's mother dies and she meets a divorce lawyer who convinces her to go after Leo.|
|86||13||"And Circumstance"||Keith Truesdell||Brenda Hampton||September 5, 2011||2.83|
|Amy begins to suspect that Ricky is going to propose, since John keeps saying "ring". Ricky, Jack, and Adrian all have brief flashbacks, thinking of their high school experiences. Ricky thinks of Amy, Jack of Grace, and Adrian of Ricky. Ben invites Adrian to lunch and tells her that they both need to get over Amy and Ricky, especially since there's a rumor going around school that Ricky is planning on proposing to Amy. At the graduation ceremony, Jack and Ricky both give speeches. At the end of Ricky's speech, he calls Amy up on stage and proposes to her, and she happily accepts. At the graduation party, Ben meets a new girl named Dylan. Griffin and Peter have some relationship tension when another guy gets flirtatious with Griffin. Lauren is upset when Jesse tries to give her alcohol, and insists that she's not going to drink or do anything else, even though Jesse and Madison are drinking. Grace and Daniel also have some problems when they run into Daniel's ex-girlfriend, Raven. Raven asks Jack to cut in on Grace and Daniel's dance, which he does. This prompts Daniel to go talk to Raven, and he wants to leave right after speaking with her. Omar agrees to leave with Daniel, over the objections of Adrian and Grace, who want to stay at the party longer. At that moment, Ricky and Amy arrive at the party. Ricky has learned that Adrian wants to kiss him one last time. With Amy's OK, Ricky kisses Adrian and neither of them feel anything. Adrian is ecstatic that she's over Ricky, but Omar is upset that she felt she had to kiss him and thinks that by doing so, she has disrespected herself and him. He and Daniel leave the party. Ricky and Amy begin to slow dance, and Ben and Jack slow dance with the now hurt and alone Adrian and Grace respectively.The next morning, Lauren goes to find Jesse, and discovers him and Madison in bed together. They both blame it on alcohol, but an upset Lauren simply ignores them and asks Ricky and Amy to take her home. Peter also wants to leave, while the other guy wants Griffin to stay longer. Meanwhile, Jack and Raven have also had sex, but agree that it was just a casual thing that doesn't mean anything. Grace asks Jack to take her home, and he goes off to find Adrian so they can leave. He discovers Adrian and Henry in bed together. While Adrian is dressing to leave, Alice walks in on them and suggests to Henry that Ben will probably only want to be her friend once he finds out about Henry and Adrian. Ben and Dylan fell asleep with each other, but did not have sex. Dylan says she doesn't do that, which Ben finds refreshing. Outside, Grace asks Jack if he thinks there's anything to Adrian's theory of kissing someone to see if it's over, which prompts Jack to kiss her. They both seem to enjoy it. Ricky and Amy both comment on what a crazy party it was before kissing each other.|
|87||14||"Smokin' Like A Virgin"||Gail Bradley||Brenda Hampton||March 26, 2012||2.51|
The morning after the graduation party, Ricky asks Amy when she wants to get married, and is surprised to find that Amy is not in a big hurry to get married -- she's just happy to be engaged. Ben and Dylan talk on the phone all day, and he asks her out for that evening. However, when Alice tells him that Henry and Adrian slept together at the party, he breaks their date and angrily confronts Henry. Henry suggests that he was seduced just like Ben was, but Ben tells him that he is no longer welcome in his home and his friend. Dylan and her friends (including Raven) come to confront Ben and demand to know why he broke their date. He invites them to his room, and they ask if he minds if they smoke pot. They are discovered by Leo and Dylan's parents, who have followed her. Raven sends Daniel a camera photo of Jack and Grace kissing early that morning, and Daniel breaks up with Grace as a result. Grace and Jack kiss again, but Kathleen warns Jack that Grace may blame him for Daniel breaking up with her, and that he should simply be friends with Grace and start fresh in college. Ashley returns after being away in Florida with Toby, and announces that she has been accepted at a college in Florida, smugly observing that even though she's a year behind Amy, she'll be a year ahead of her in college. Amy and Ashley trade insults, during which Amy declares all her dreams have come true, and Ashley meanly asks if her dreams included being a teenage mother.Adrian tells Dante' that she has been going out with his brother, and Dante' breaks up with her. She and Grace hatch a plan to live together over the summer, go to summer school and not have anything to do with boys for a while.
|88||15||"Defiance"||Anson Williams||Brenda Hampton||April 2, 2012||1.56|
|Amy argues with Ricky over her decision to attend summer school; Dylan and Ben's parents forbid them from seeing each other.|
|89||16||"They Gotta Eat"||Lindsley Parsons III||Brenda Hampton & Elaine Arata||April 9, 2012||1.61|
|Jacob (Jordan Fisher), a high school boy who grew up in rural Africa, wants to stay with Kathleen instead of going off to a boarding school. Kathleen is unsure about this idea, but Jacob will be sticking around. It is revealed that Jacob is Grace's half-brother from an affair her father, Marshall, had years ago. Kathleen is not happy to learn about his existence.|
|90||17||"Suddenly Last Summer"||Keith Truesdell||Brenda Hampton||April 16, 2012||1.61|
|Amy is increasingly short with everyone in her life, including Ricky, leaving him wondering what is going on with her, but he is not prepared when she reveals that she might be pregnant again. Dylan's brother Joe who dislike and jealous of Ben send Dylan's parents picture about Dylan and Ben kissing, makes another attempt to win them over, but it doesn't turn out quite like he hoped when he ends up sharing too much information about his family.|
|91||18||"The Beach is Back"||Gail Bradley||Brenda Hampton||April 23, 2012||1.60|
|Dylan and her friends surprise Ben at school, while Grace doesn't want Jacob attending her school. Elsewhere, Kathleen tries to understand her late husband's secrets; and an overburdened Amy acts ornery at home with Ricky (when he takes her to band camp).|
|92||19||"The Splits"||Keith Truesdell||Brenda Hampton||April 30, 2012||1.47|
|Ben and Dylan go on their first real date together. Elsewhere, Tom runs into problems with police.|
|93||20||"Strange Familiar"||Anson Williams||Brenda Hampton & Paul Perlove||May 7, 2012||1.51|
|A desperate Kathleen resorts to bribery to get Grace to talk to Jacob. Elsewhere, Dylan attempts to befriend Adrian.|
|94||21||"Allies"||Keith Truesdell||Brenda Hampton & Elaine Arata||May 14, 2012||1.40|
|Amy is in danger of failing summer school. Amy's friends from her New York trip drop by unannounced with their 2 children, and Ricky isn't too happy at first. Henry tries to reconcile with Alice and Ben but it doesn't work. Lauren and Madison become friends again|
|95||22||"The Text Best Thing"||Anson Williams||Brenda Hampton & Jeffrey Rodgers||May 21, 2012||1.16|
|A rumor about Anne is spread along with news about Amy's wedding date.|
|96||23||"4SnP"||Keith Truesdell||Brenda Hampton, Kelley Turk, & Courtney Turk||May 28, 2012||1.40|
|Ashley and Anne return from Europe. Adrian and Grace becomes jealous from all the attention surrounding Amy.|
|97||24||"Love is Love"||Gail Bradley||Brenda Hampton & Anne Ramsay||June 4, 2012||1.43|
|Ben charges $1200 on his credit card to pay the application to Dylan's school. Ben's father finds out and is upset at him for making poor decisions lately. Adrian's mother tells Adrian that kissing Grace for shock value is not right and to think of the LGBTQ community. Anne comes out to her family, with a bad reaction from Amy. George and Ashley are happy that Anne is happy. Ashley kisses Toby, who tells her that he loves her. She responds in kind and that floating around Ricky was just to annoy Amy. Dylan brings Ben to her school and they make s'mores with the bunsen burner. The building burns down and Ben strongly thinks they caused it. He calls Alice and they have sex. Jack tells Grace to kiss Adrian again if she wants to "experiment" as her mother had suggested. When Jack drives Grace over to Adrian's condo, Omar breaks up with Adrian. Grace continues to try to think of ways to see if she is a lesbian or if she was just curious. She comes to school looking so different that Adrian walked right past her without recognizing her. Fern confronts Adrian about kissing a girl just to garner attention and how difficult and scary it can be to be gay, especially in high school. Amy takes Ricky's advice and goes back home to apologize to Anne. Before heading home, she tells Ricky that she wants to run away and get married asap because she didn't want to wait anymore. Amy tells Anne that although they may not be sure of certain things, they do know that "love is love."|
- Gorman, Bill (June 14, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars' Keeps Growing; Plus 'WWE Raw,' 'Secret Life,' 'Real Housewives,' 'American Pickers' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 14, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (June 21, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'WWE Raw,' 'Secret Life,' 'Switched at Birth,' 'Teen Wolf,' 'Sanctuary' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 21, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (June 28, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'WWE Raw,' 'Secret Life,' 'Switched at Birth,' 'Single Ladies,' 'Teen Wolf' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (July 6, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'WWE Raw,' 'Switched at Birth,' Joey Chestnut, 'Single Ladies,' 'Teen Wolf' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (July 12, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: "All-Star" Softball Edges Out 'Pawn Stars,' 'Home Run Derby' + 'Closer,' 'Rizzoli,' 'Alphas,' 'Eureka' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (July 19, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars,' 'American Pickers' Top Night + 'Eureka' 'Rizzoli,' 'Alphas,' 'Teen Wolf' & Much More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 19, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (July 26, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars' Rules + 'WWE RAW,' 'American Pickers,' 'Basketball Wives,' 'Switched at Birth,' 'Warehouse 13,' 'Rizzoli,' 'Alphas,' 'Teen Wolf' & Much More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 26, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (August 2, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars' on Top + 'WWE RAW,' 'American Pickers,' 'Basketball Wives,' 'Switched at Birth,' 'Warehouse 13,' 'Rizzoli,' 'Alphas,' 'Eureka' & Much More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 2, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (August 9, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars,' 'American Pickers,' 'WWE RAW' Top Night + 'Closer,' 'Rizzoli,' 'Switched At Birth,' 'Eureka' & Much More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 9, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (August 16, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars,' Jets-Texans, 'WWE RAW' Lead + 'Closer,' 'Rizzoli,' 'Warehouse 13' & Much More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 16, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (August 23, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: Bears-Giants Preseason Wins + 'WWE RAW,' 'Rizzoli,' 'T.O. Show,' 'Alpha's' & Much More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 23, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (August 30, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'WWE RAW' Tops Night, 'Ridiculousness,', 'American Chopper,' 'Basketball Wives LA,' 'Carfellas' & Much More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (September 7, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars' Back On Top, 'Kardashians' Finale, 'The Closer,' 'Rizzoli & Isles,' 'Real Housewives' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 27, 2012). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'WWE RAW,' 'Basketball Wives', 'Secret Life of the American Teenager', 'Pawn Stars' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 27, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (April 3, 2012). "Monday Cable Ratings: WWE Bodyslams Competition, 'Basketball Wives,' 'La Las Full Court Life,' 'Secret Life of the American Teenager,' 'Pawn Stars'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (April 10, 2012). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars' Wins Night, 'WWE Raw', 'Basketball Wives', 'Hardcore History', 'Secret Life of the American Teen', 'La La's Full Court Life' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 10, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 17, 2012). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars,' 'WWE Raw,' 'Basketball Wives,' 'American Pickers' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 17, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 24, 2012). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars,' 'WWE Raw,' 'Basketball Wives,' 'American Chopper' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 24, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (May 1, 2012). "Monday Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs Lead + 'WWE Raw', 'Pawn Stars', 'Bad Girl Club', 'American Chopper, 'Basketball Wives', 'Ridiculousness' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 8, 2012). "Monday Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs + 'WWE Raw', 'Bad Girls Club', 'Basketball Wives', 'American Chopper' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (May 15, 2012). "Monday Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs Wins Night, 'WWE', 'Basketball Wives', 'American Chopper', 'Secret Life', 'American Pickers' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 15, 2012.
- "Shows A-Z - secret life of the american teenager, on abc family". The Futon Critic. Retrieved April 18, 2012.
- "Monday's Cable Ratings: "Hatsfields and McCoys," Heat/Celtics Big for History, ESPN". The Futon Critic. May 30, 2012. Retrieved June 3, 2015.