The Singularity, Phase 1: Neohumanity
|The Singularity (Phase I - Neohumanity)|
|Studio album by|
|Released||3 October 2014|
|Recorded||December 2013 - August 2014 at Studio Overlook and Studio Kabyss|
|Genre||Melodic death metal, progressive metal, power metal|
|Scar Symmetry chronology|
The Singularity (Phase I - Neohumanity) is the sixth full-length studio album by Swedish metal band Scar Symmetry, released by Nuclear Blast on 3 October 2014 (EU). This is the first album of the Singularity trilogy, and the first Scar Symmetry album to be composed, produced, mixed and mastered entirely by guitarist Per Nilsson, and is the last album with Kenneth Seil on bass.
The Singularity (Phase I - Neohumanity) sold 1,500 units in the USA in its first week and debuted at #199 on the Billboard 200.
The first phase of the trilogy is centered on the rise of "artilects (artificial intellects) with mental capacities far above the human level of thought" and that "by the year 2030, one of the world's biggest industries will be 'artificial brains,' used to control artilects that will be genuinely intelligent and useful." The lyrical content focuses on the divide between "those who embrace the new technology and those who oppose it" due to the social issues caused by the rise of artificial intelligence and the emergence of transhumanists who add artilect technology to their own bodies.
|All About The Rock|||
Writing for All About The Rock Anthony Biello scored the album 8.5 out of 10 and said "I wasn’t expecting such a well written record from a band I discarded years ago. If you are a fan of Power, Progressive or Death Metal, then check this out. Scar Symmetry blends all of those genres together unlike any other band I’ve ever heard before. Supposedly this is the first concept album of a trilogy, and if the next 2 are even close to The Singularity (Phase I – Neohumanity), I would consider it a success."
All lyrics written by Henrik Ohlsson; all music composed by Per Nilsson.
|1.||"The Shape of Things to Come"||0:52|
|3.||"Limits to Infinity"||4:57|
|5.||"The Spiral Timeshift"||4:50|
|6.||"Children of the Integrated Circuit (instrumental)"||2:25|
- Lars Palmqvist – clean vocals, backing vocals
- Roberth Karlsson – growl vocals, backing vocals (tracks 2 & 3)
- Per Nilsson – lead guitar, rhythm guitar, keyboards, backing vocals, clean vocals (tracks 1, 2, 5 & 8)
- Kenneth Seil – bass
- Henrik Ohlsson – drums
|Europe||3 October 2014|
|United Kingdom/France||13 October 2014|
|North America||14 October 2014|
- "SCAR SYMMETRY - Limits To Infinity (OFFICIAL LYRIC VIDEO)". YouTube. 22 August 2014. Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- "SCAR SYMMETRY - THE SINGULARITY - AVAILABLE AT NUCLEAR BLAST RECORDS!". nuclearblast.de. Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- "Metal By Numbers 10/23: Charts are pretty witchin’Metal Insider". Metal Insider. 2014-10-23. Retrieved 2017-01-27.
- "Scar Symmetry Announces Concept Album Trilogy 'The Singularity' - Blabbermouth.net". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. January 20, 2014. Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- Biello, Anthony. "Scar Symmetry – The Singularity (Phase I – Neohumanity)". Retrieved 2014-10-16.