Then Came You (Dionne Warwick & The Spinners song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Then Came You"|
|Single by Dionne Warwick & Spinners|
|from the album Then Came You (Dionne Warwick) & New and Improved (Spinners)|
|B-side||"Just As Long As We Have Love"|
|Released||July 13, 1974|
|Recorded||April 2, 1974|
|Dionne Warwick singles chronology|
|The Spinners singles chronology|
"Then Came You" is a 1974 Grammy-nominated hit for American soul singer Dionne Warwick and American R&B group The Spinners. It was credited to Dionne Warwicke and Spinners (from 1971–1975, Warwick added a final 'e' to her last name). The track was written by Sherman Marshall and Phillip T. Pugh, and produced by Thom Bell.
Released during a time that Warwick's chart fortunes were at an ebb after moving to Warner Bros. Records in 1972, the Philadelphia soul single was a rare mid-1970s success for the singer. Sung as a duet with Spinners main lead singer Bobby Smith and the Spinners, who were one of the most popular groups of the decade, the song became Warwick's first ever single to reach number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 and also became her highest-charting R&B record reaching number two on that chart, behind Barry White's "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe" (itself a Hot 100 number-one single). It was also the first number-one pop hit for the Spinners. It became an RIAA gold record. Spinners member Phillippe Wynne took over lead duties at the very end of the song, as he did on another one of the group's big hits, "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love".
While Warwick was signed to Warner Bros. at the time, this release actually came out on Atlantic Records, which was the Spinners' label, but also a sister label to Warner Bros.
Warwick eventually left Warner Bros. for Arista Records in 1978 where she regrouped and found consistent success again as an artist.
- "Best Pop Vocal Performance By A Duo, Group Or Chorus - 17th Annual GRAMMY Awards (1974)". The Recording Academy. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- "Dionne Warwick & The Spinners - Then Came You - RIAA Gold Certification". RIAA. October 8, 1974. Retrieved October 13, 2018.
- "Music lyrics, charts, Games, & more". Top40db.net. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
-  Archived August 7, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1974/Top 100 Songs of 1974". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "The CASH BOX Year-End Charts: 1974". 220.127.116.11. Archived from the original on 19 October 2014. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-10.