Thocomerius, also Tihomir, was the father of Basarab, who would become the first independent voivode of Wallachia. Many Romanian historians, such as Vlad Georgescu and Marcel Popa, believe that Thocomerius was a voivode in Wallachia who succeeded Bărbat, who ruled around 1278; others, such as Tudor Sălăgean, refer to him as a local potentate whose status cannot be specified.
The Hungarian László Rásonyi derives the name from a Cuman and Tatar name, Toq-tämir (‘hardened steel’), and refers to a Chingisid prince, Toktomer, mentioned in the Russian annals in 1295 as abiding in the Crimea. According to István Vásáry, even if Basarab’s father bore a Turkic name, this person can by no means be identified with a Chingisid prince, because being descended from Genghis Khan was a matter of such significance that no one could, or would have wanted to conceal it.
- Sălăgean, Tudor. Romanian Society in the Early Middle Ages (9th-10th Centuries).
- Vásáry, István. Cumans and Tatars: Oriental Military in the Pre-Ottoman Balkans, 1185-1365.
- Georgescu, Vlad. The Romanians: A History.
- Treptow, Kurt W.; Popa, Marcel. Historical Dictionary of Romania.
- Djuvara, Neagu. Thocomerius - Negru Vodă. Un voivod de origine cumană la începuturile Tării Româneşti.
- Djuvara, Neagu: Thocomerius – Negru Vodă. Un voivod de origine cumană la începuturile Tării Româneşti /Thocomerius – Negru Vodă: A Voivode of Cuman Origin at the Beginnings of Wallachia/, Humanitas, 2007
- Georgescu, Vlad (Author) – Calinescu, Matei (Editor) – Bley-Vroman, Alexandra (Translator): The Romanians – A History; Ohio State University Press, 1991, Columbus; ISBN 0-8142-0511-9
- Sălăgean, Tudor: Romanian Society in the Early Middle Ages (9th-10th Centuries); in: Ioan-Aurel Pop – Ioan Bolovan (Editors): History of Romania: Compendium; Romanian Cultural Institute (Center for Transylvanian Studies), 2006, Cluj-Napoca; ISBN 978-973-7784-12-4
- Treptow, Kurt W. – Popa, Marcel: Historical Dictionary of Romania (table ‘Rulers of Romania - Wallachia’); The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 1996, Lanham (Maryland, USA) & Folkestone (UK); ISBN 0-8108-3179-1
- Vásáry, István: Cumans and Tatars: Oriental Military in the Pre-Ottoman Balkans, 1185-1365; Cambridge University Press, 2005, Cambridge; ISBN 0-521-83756-1
|(?) Voivode in Wallachia
(unknown – c. 1310)