This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (April 2015)
O'Folliard circa 1875
|Born||Thomas O. Folliard, Jr.
|Died||December 19, 1880
Fort Sumner, New Mexico
|Cause of death||Gunshot wound from Sheriff Pat Garrett|
|Resting place||Old Fort Sumner Cemetery
|Other names||Tom O'Folliard|
|Occupation||Ranch hand, gunfighter, outlaw|
Tom O'Folliard (1858 – December 19, 1880) was the best friend of outlaw William Bonney, a.k.a. Billy the Kid. Both were members of the Regulators during the Lincoln County War. After the war ended, they became cattle rustlers, forming the Bonney gang with fellow outlaws Dave Rudabaugh and Charlie Bowdre.
O'Folliard, a Texan, was a participant in the Lincoln County War and survived the famous Five-Day Battle in Lincoln during July 1878. He is said to have been wounded by a gunshot to the shoulder while escaping from the McSween residence, which had been set on fire, with Billy and three others.
He was shot in the chest by sheriff Pat Garrett on December 19, 1880, at Fort Sumner, dying approximately 45 minutes later. He was interred at Old Fort Sumner Cemetery in a plot later shared by Bonney and Charlie Bowdre.
Portrayals in the media
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- O'Folliard was portrayed in the 1942 film Apache Trail (film) by William Lundigan.
- In the 1954 film The Law vs. Billy the Kid O'Folliard was played by actor George Berkeley.
- O'Folliard was also portrayed in the 1958 film The Left Handed Gun by James Best alongside Paul Newman's portrayal of Billy The Kid.
- Christopher Mitchum portrays O'Folliard in Chisum, in the film he is friends with Billy the Kid (Geoffrey Deuel).
- The Tom O'Folliard character also appeared in Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973), played by screenwriter Rudy Wurlitzer, although depicted inaccurately as middle-aged.
- O'Folliard was portrayed in the 1990 film Young Guns II by Balthazar Getty as a 14-year-old "tenderfoot" orphan from Pennsylvania who begs his way into Billy the Kid's gang. This was inaccurate, as O'Folliard was a Texan, never left the southwest and was in his late teens when he joined the Regulators.
- O'Folliard was not depicted in the original Young Guns film, although in real life he had been present for the majority of the events depicted in the movie and had been one of Billy the Kid's best friends since the two first met.
|This biographical article related to crime is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|