Anthony James Venables
25 April 1953
|Institution||University of Oxford, International Growth Centre|
|Field||International Economics, Spatial Economics|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge |
University of Oxford
Anthony James Venables, CBE, (born 25 April 1953), is a British economist and the BP Professor of Economics at the Department of Economics, University of Oxford.
Venables is known as one of the pioneers of New economic geography. He co-authored along with Paul Krugman and Masahisa Fujita the influential book The Spatial Economy - Cities, Regions and International Trade (2001).
He is the current director of the Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies (OxCarre). He also serves on the Steering Group of the International Growth Centre. From 2005 to 2008, he held the position of Chief Economist at the UK Department for International Development.
Venables studied economics at Clare College, Cambridge, where he obtained his B.A. in 1974. After completing his undergraduate degree, he then took up his studies at St. Antony's College, Oxford. He then became a lecturer at various universities before completing his D.Phil. in economics in 1984 from Worcester College, Oxford. He is a Fellow of New College, Oxford.
- Venables, Anthony J.; McKenzie, George (1991). The Economics of the Single European Act. London: In association with the Centre for International Economics, University of Southampton. ISBN 9780333546857.
- Venables, Anthony J.; Fujita, Masahisa (2001). The spatial economy: cities, regions and international trade. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press. ISBN 9780262561471.
- Venables, Anthony J.; Kanbur, Ravi (2005). Spatial inequality and development. Oxford New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199278633.
- Venables, Anthony J.; Collier, Paul (2011). Plundered nations?: successes and failures in natural resource extraction. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire New York: Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 9780230290228.
- ^ "Venables, Anthony". Library of Congress. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
(Anthony Venables, Anthony James Venables, Dept. of Econ., Univ. of Southampton, b. 04-25-53)
- ^ Venables, Anthony; Fujita, Masahisa (2001). The spatial economy: cities, regions and international trade. Cambridge, Mmssachusetts: MIT Press. ISBN 9780262561471.
- 1953 births
- Alumni of Clare College, Cambridge
- Alumni of St Antony's College, Oxford
- Alumni of Worcester College, Oxford
- British economists
- Commanders of the Order of the British Empire
- Fellows of New College, Oxford
- International economists
- Living people
- Statutory Professors of the University of Oxford
- Fellows of the Econometric Society