French submarine Favorite (Q195)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Model of the Africaine (Q196), sister-ship of the Favorite
|Captured:||by Nazi Germany in June 1940|
|Decommissioned:||5 July 1944|
|Fate:||scuttled at Gotenhafen in 1945.|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||Aurore class submarine|
|Length:||73.50 m (241 ft 2 in) o/a|
|Beam:||6.50 m (21 ft 4 in) o/a|
|Draught:||4.57 m (15 ft)|
|Test depth:||100 metres (330 ft)|
|Complement:||3 officers, 37 enlisted|
The Favorite was laid down in 1937 in Rouen, and launched in September 1938. She never participated in any patrols with the French Navy.
After her capture, she was commissioned into Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine on 5 November 1942 and used as a training ship in the 5th Flotilla (Kiel) from November 1942 to October 1943, as well as in the U-Abwehrschule (Bergen), from November 1943 to July 1944.
The submarine was initially commanded by Korvettenkapitän Georg Lange, who served from November 1942 to October 1943. He lost command due to the loss of the boat.[clarification needed] Oberleutnant zur See Heinrich Gehrken, served from the time Georg Lange lost the boat, until July 1944.
- Gröner 1991, pp. 106-107.
- Busch, Rainer; Röll, Hans-Joachim (1999). German U-boat commanders of World War II : a biographical dictionary. Translated by Brooks, Geoffrey. London, Annapolis, Md: Greenhill Books, Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-55750-186-6.
- Busch, Rainer; Röll, Hans-Joachim (1999). Deutsche U-Boot-Verluste von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 [German U-boat losses from September 1939 to May 1945]. Der U-Boot-Krieg (in German). IV. Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn: Mittler. ISBN 3-8132-0514-2.
- Gröner, Erich; Jung, Dieter; Maass, Martin (1991). U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels. German Warships 1815–1945. 2. Translated by Thomas, Keith; Magowan, Rachel. London: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-593-4.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "UF-2". German U-boats of World War II - Uboat.net.