Upwey (Abbotsbury Railway) railway station
|Area||Weymouth and Portland|
|Original company||Abbotsbury Railway|
|Post-grouping||Western Region of British Railways|
|9 November 1885||Station opens as Broadway|
|24 June 1896||Renamed Broadwey|
|1 January 1913||Renamed Upwey|
|1 December 1952||Station closes (passengers)|
|1 January 1962||Station closes (goods)|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Upwey was a railway station on the Abbotsbury branch railway in the county of Dorset in England. It was opened with the branch line in 1885 as Broadway, renamed Broadwey in 1896 then the name was changed to Upwey in 1913, to avoid confusion with Broadway in Worcestershire. Although it had a passenger platform it mainly functioned as a goods depot as the location of Upwey Junction on an embankment made access difficult. When the branch closed to passengers in 1952 the station continued on as a goods depot until the early 1960s, served by a stub from what is now the South Western Main Line.
A typical William Clarke stone building served the single platform, although the station also had a loop for goods.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
South Western Main Line
|Great Western Railway
Abbotsbury branch railway
Line and station closed
The site today
The site of the station is now a builders yard with the station building and goods shed still in place.
- www.disused-stations.org.uk Upwey; Shows the relationship to the current Upwey station.
- Station on navigable O.S. map location marked as Broadwey
- R.V.J.Butt, (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-85260-508-1
- J.H. Lucking ,. Railways of Dorset. Railway Correspondence and Travel Society 1968. ISBN(no ISBN)
- Brian L. Jackson. The Abbotsbury Branch. Wild Swan Publications Ltd. 1989. ISBN 0-906867-80-0
|This article about a railway station in South West England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|