Utah State Route 122
|Maintained by UDOT|
|Length:||8.751 mi (14.083 km)|
|Existed:||1931 – present|
|East end:||SR-10 near Price|
SR-122 begins at the east right-of-way line of the Utah Railway, opposite the coal mine and ghost town of Hiawatha in the Manti-La Sal National Forest. It heads east in generally straight lines, gradually descending a ridge from the foothills of Gentry Mountain into the Castle Valley. About two-thirds of the way to the end at SR-10, SR-122 meets a county road from Wattis, another former mining town.
A pair of roads connecting the coal mining company town of Hiawatha with SR-10 was added to the state highway system in 1931, initially numbered SR-123 but changed to State Route 122 in 1933. One branch headed east along present SR-122; the other turned south at Hiawatha Junction (just east of the Utah Railway crossing) and passed east of Mohrland to end at SR-10 near Huntington. The latter branch was split off as State Route 236 in 1945 and removed from the state highway system in 1969. Another branch, running southeast from Wattis to SR-122, became State Route 50 in 1935 and was also deleted in 1969. A short truncation was made to SR-122 at its west end in 1993, after Hiawatha was disincorporated, so that the U.S. Fuel Company could gate the former Main Street. The end was moved from near a curve on Main Street north of Center Street to the east right-of-way line at the railroad crossing.
The entire route is in Carbon County.
|Hiawatha||0.000||0.000||Mohrland Road (former SR-236 – Huntington)||Western terminus|
|||5.903||9.500||Former SR-50 – Wattis|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Utah Department of Transportation, Highway Reference Information: "SR-122". (17.4 KB), updated 2008-05-01, accessed July 2008
- Google Maps street maps and USGS topographic maps, accessed July 2008 via ACME Mapper
- Utah State Legislature (1931). Chapter 55: Designation of State Roads. Session Laws of Utah.
(123) From junction on route 10 near Carbon-Emery county line westerly to Hiawatha and from Hiawatha junction southerly via Mohrland to Huntington.
- Utah State Legislature (1933). Chapter 30. Session Laws of Utah.
(122) From junction on route 10 near Carbon-Emery county line westerly to Hiawatha, and from Hiawatha Junction southerly via Mohrland to Huntington.
- Utah State Legislature (1945). Chapter 61: State Roads and Routes. Session Laws of Utah.
Route 236. From route 10 north of Huntington northerly to route 122 near Hiawatha.
- Utah Department of Transportation, Highway Resolutions: "Route 236". (4.71 MB), updated November 2007, accessed May 2008
- Utah State Legislature (1935). Chapter 37: Designation of State Roads. Session Laws of Utah.
Route 50. From route 122 east of Hiawatha thence northerly to Wattis.
- Utah Department of Transportation, Highway Resolutions: "Route 50". (5.14 MB), updated October 2007, accessed May 2008
- Utah Department of Transportation, Highway Resolutions: "Route 122". (610 KB), updated November 2007, accessed May 2008