Apostolic Vicariate of Ucayali
|Apostolic Vicariate of Ucayali
Apostolicus Vicariatus Ucayali
|Metropolitan||Immediately subject to the Holy See|
The Apostolic Vicariate of Ucayali (Latin: Apostolicus Vicariatus Ucayali) was a Roman Catholic apostolic vicariate (missionary pre-diocesan jurisdiction) located in the north-east of Peru. It was exempt, i.e. directly subject to the Holy See, not part of any ecclesiastical province.
- It was established on February 5, 1900 as Apostolic Prefecture of Ucayali, on territory split off from the Diocese of Ayacucho o Huamanga and Diocese of Huánuco.
- On July 14, 1925, it was promoted to Apostolic Vicariate (hence entitled to a titular bishop; the incumbent was elevated) of Ucayali.
- It was suppressed on March 2, 1956 and its territory divided between three other new created Apostolic vicariates: Apostolic Vicariate of San Ramon, Apostolic Vicariate of Requena and Apostolic Vicariate of Pucallpa.
- all incumbents were missionary members of the Latin (Roman rite) congregation of Friars Minor (Franciscans, O.F.M.)
- Apostolic Prefects of Ucayali
- Friar Augustin Alemany, O.F.M. (February 14, 1905 – September 1905)
- Friar Bernardo Irastorza, O.F.M. (September 1905 – 1912)
- Friar Francisco Miguel Irazola y Galarza, O.F.M. (January 28, 1913 – July 14, 1925 see below)
- Apostolic Vicars of Ucayali
- Bishop Francisco Miguel Irazola y Galarza, O.F.M., Titular Bishop of Flavias (see above July 14, 1925 – 1939)
- Bishop León Bonaventura de Uriarte Bengoa, O.F.M., Titular Bishop of Madaurus (July 10, 1940 – March 2, 1956) (later Apostolic Vicar of San Ramon)
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Peru is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|