Walford, Letton and Newton
Walford village lies just south of the River Teme about 2 km southwest of Leintwardine and 2 km northeast of Letton. The post town is Craven Arms and postcodes start with SY7. The A4113 Bromfield to Knighton road runs through the village.
At the time of the Domesday Survey Walford was known as 'Waliforde', which may mean 'ford of the Welshmen'.
The remains of a motte-and-bailey are to be found in the village.
The manor house, Letton Court, refers to another Letton 15 miles south but still in Herefordshire. This was for years the seat of the Blisset family. In 1927, the old house burned down and a new house built in its place.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- Herefordshire Place Names - Copleston-Crow, BAR British Series 214, 1989
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Walford, Letton and Newton.|
- A very brief mention in Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913 under Leintwardine
- Walford motte & bailey on Historic Herefordshire Online
- Walford Court Guesthouse B&B
|This Herefordshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|