Wikipedia:Featured portal review
Reviewing featured portals
This page is for the review and improvement of featured portals that may no longer meet the featured portal criteria. Featured portals are held to the current standards regardless of when they were promoted. Having said that, three to six months is regarded as the minimum time between promotion and nomination here, unless there are extenuating circumstances such as a radical change in portal content or design.
All users are welcome to contribute in the process.
Featured portal review (FPR)
There is no set time limit for the review: if changes are ongoing and improvements are happening within a reasonable length of time, and it seems useful to continue the process, the review is likely to be kept open.
Older reviews are stored in the archive.
Featured portal tools:
Nominating a portal for Featured portal review (FPR)
Contributing to the discussions
Featured portal reviews
As with a significant fraction of Featured Portals, this one has problems with being Well-maintained. It is not "updated regularly to display different aspects of Wikipedia's content in an area", and since it contains time-sensitive sections, it probably qualifies for summary demotion under "Featured portals that require maintenance and are not updated for three or more months are summarily demoted".
- No new articles have been added to either Portal:Comedy/Selected article or Portal:Comedy/Selected biography since 2009, and no new pictures have been added to Portal:Comedy/Selected picture since 2008.
- 21% (seven out of 33) of the biographies in Portal:Comedy/Selected biography no longer meet the GA or FA requirements for that section, since they have been demoted to C-class or B-class since their inclusion. Portal:Comedy/Selected article has an FA-only requirement, but 36% (12 out of 33) of the articles in that section have since been demoted to C-class or B-class, and another 12% (four articles) have GA status.
- Portal:Comedy/Did you know – a section that requires frequent manual updates – hasn't been updated since 2011.
- Portal:Comedy/News/Wikinews – another section that requires frequent updates – hasn't been updated for almost a year, and is only updated by a bot that hasn't worked for nine months.
- All but one of the "child" WikiProjects listed in Portal:Comedy/WikiProjects are inactive or semi-active at best.
It would be possible to "fix" this portal, e.g., by removing outdated material. However, given the finite time available to the very few experienced editors in this area, and the low number of page views (and therefore the low benefit to readers), I don't believe that we should realistically expect the long-term situation to change. If those volunteers haven't found it worth their while to maintain the featured articles section for the last seven or eight years(!), then it is highly unrealistic to expect them to do this at least four times a year from here out. It's probably better to remove the FP status and let the portal evolve outside of the FPC. (I left a note at WikiProject Comedy.) WhatamIdoing (talk) 18:09, 19 March 2016 (UTC)
- Keep. Nothing needs to be done. Every single thing about this portal is designed specifically to not need maintenance. All sections of the portal are set for random selection to allow the reader to see a new entry each time the page is refreshed. If you'd like to suggest an entry to be added to the portal, you may do so at the portal talk page. Thank you. — Cirt (talk) 20:55, 19 March 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks for removing the outdated Wikinews section. The DYK section implies a connection to the Main Page's section of the same name, and the same standards there. I think that the fact that nobody has proposed a new selected article or biography for years is evidence of no maintenance, and especially of no interest in maintaining it, but do you think it is important to remove articles that no longer meet the selection criteria from that section? Due to the lack of ongoing maintenance, that is a pretty significant fraction of articles. WhatamIdoing (talk) 15:51, 20 March 2016 (UTC)
- Update: Added randomized intro image for intro sect. 40 randomized selections for Selected article sect, all WP:FA or WP:GA. Increased selections to 40 selected pictures. 33 entries in randomized Selected biography sect, all FA or GA. Removed the Wikinews sect. DYK does not require any manual updates, but any editor should feel free to add additional entries related to comedy into the randomized rotation of 165 random entries. Everything else now checks out okay. — Cirt (talk) 01:32, 4 April 2016 (UTC)
- Keep per update by Cirt. - Yellow Dingo (talk) 01:17, 18 July 2016 (UTC)
The definition of a featured portal, cut and pasted from the Portal:Featured portals page is "... portals that are regarded as being particularly useful, attractive, and well-maintained.". The Fish portal is useful and attractive, but unfortunately is not well-maintained; no significant maintenance has been performed on the portal since 2008. I posted a message on the portal's talk page on March 25 and did receive one response, but the page does not meet featured portal standards simply because it lacks somebody to volunteer to step up and maintain it. Until then, the portal will continue to be useful and attractive, just not a featured portal. Neil916 (Talk) 06:51, 13 April 2015 (UTC)