|This page in a nutshell: The purpose of this page is to explain some things relating to the Wikipedia:Revision deletion policy page. This page will demonstrate what type of material can and cannot by removed (using Revision deletion) through the use of examples. While the examples may be based on real edits that were submitted for revision deletion, they have been "scrubbed" to avoid violating the criterion again, and to protect those who may have been targeted by attacks or trolling.|
- RevisionDelete is a balancing act between different priorities.
- RevisionDelete does not exist for routine unhelpful comments or unwise posts by users, or to cover up for those at fault.
- In many cases revert, block (if applicable), ignore may be preferable to deletion.
- Because Wikipedia is an encyclopedia and is also open, it is best to have a clear public history of all edits and activities. However if that open history becomes a source of harm -- (perhaps because it effectively acts as a shrine to vandalism, or contains material that few if any users would say has any project value and is likely to be at best harmful/disruptive) then redaction may be a valid approach. Deletion from the public record is not to be done lightly though.
- Because potential privacy breaches and defamation are taken very seriously, if these may be involved then any admin has a green light to redact the text provided they quickly submit it to oversight to make a final decision on handling. Admins should read the section on oversightable material and consider whether it is better in some cases to request oversight and not redact first, to prevent attention being drawn.
Examples of RevDelete usage
|Criterion||Description||Revdelete usually valid||RevDelete NOT usually valid||Notes / comments|
|1||Blatant copyright violation||It was the best of times,
it was the worst of times,
|The statement It was the best of times, it was the worst of times has taken on a new meaning in modern society.||Even though the second example is not properly sourced, it would not be enough of a copyright violation to justify revision deletion.|
|2||Grossly insulting, degrading,
or offensive material
||In addition to requesting oversight, the first example should be reported to email@example.com immediately as a threat of violence.|
|5||Valid deletion under CSD||(add example here)||(add example here)|
|6||Non-contentious housekeeping||(add example here)||(add example here)|