William Wortham Pool
He was born in Mississippi, the son of Samuel Pool (1806–1872) and Nancy Rose Wortham (1819–1873). His siblings were John R. Pool (1840–?); Thomas Pool (1844–?); Albert Pool (1847–?); and Dirdus Pool (1850–?). His father was a merchant and, in 1860, William was a clerk in Jackson.
In the 1860s, Pool moved to Virginia. He was a clerk in a tobacco factory in Manchester, in 1870. In 1880 and 1900, he was a bookkeeper. He was working as a private secretary in 1910; then as a bookkeeper again in 1920 in Richmond.
In c. 1866, he and Alice Purdue (December 1842–Feb. 6, 1913) were married. They had four children, Lawrence P. Pool (c. 1867–?); Annie W. Pool (October 1872–?); Samuel Pool (March 1875–?); and Mary L. Pool (July 1881–?). His wife and children were all born in Virginia.
William W. Pool died at age 80. He was interred in Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond. His family tomb is inscribed with the date 1913, the year of his wife's burial. Their bodies have been relocated to escape vandalism brought on by the vampire rumors.
- *Harry Kollatz Jr., "W.W. Pool: Richmond's Reputed Nosferatu", Richmond Magazine, October 30, 2013
- 1850 Hinds Co., MS, U.S. Federal Census, December 14, Sheet 445, Page 223, Line 26.
- 1860 Hinds Co., MS, U.S. Federal Census, City of Jackson, June 2, Sheet 6, p. 478, Line 36.
- 1870 Chesterfield Co., VA, U.S. Federal Census, Manchester, June 21, Sheet 26 B, Page 333 B, Line 19, William W. Pool, Clerk in Tobacco Factory.
- 1880 Chesterfield Co., VA, U.S. Federal Census, Manchester, June 7, Sheet 2 B, Page 123 B, Line 25, William W. Pool, Book Keeper.
- 1900 Chesterfield Co., VA, U.S. Federal Census, Manchester Ward 2, 900 Bainbridge St., June 9, Enumeration Dist. 51, Sheet 8 B, p. 222 B, Line 88, William W. Pool, Book Keeper.
- 1910 Chesterfield Co., VA, U.S. Federal Census, Manchester Dist., April 29, Enumeration Dist. 6, Sheet 17 A, Page 93 A, Line 6, W.W. Pool, Private Secretary, Land Company.
- 1920 Henrico Co., VA, U.S. Federal Census, Richmond Madison Ward, 721 W. 28th St., January 16, Enumeration Dist. 163, Sheet 14 A, Page 292 A, Line 47, W.W. Pool, Book Keeper.
- Scott Bergman, Sandi Bergman, Haunted Richmond: The Shadows of Shockoe (History Press, 2007)