Wine Enthusiast Magazine
|Frequency||14 issues per year|
|Publisher||Wine Enthusiast Companies|
Wine Enthusiast Companies is a prominent multichannel marketer of a growing line of wine- and spirits-related products. The company addresses the wholesale, retail and consumer-direct markets and is headquartered one hour outside Manhattan in Mount Kisco, New York.
Founded in 1979 by Adam and Sybil Strum, Wine Enthusiast Companies is a world leader in wine accessories, storage, information, education, events and travel. Founded as a direct mail business, Wine Enthusiast has published over 300 million catalogs. Today, Wine Enthusiast successfully markets via direct mail, multiple internet sites and an active business-to-business division, bringing Wine Enthusiast products into retail stores throughout the nation.
Wine Enthusiast Magazine was founded in 1988, bringing consumers vital information on the world of wine, with hundreds of wine reviews in every issue and comprehensive coverage of wine and lifestyle topics peripheral to wine, such as entertaining, travel, restaurants and notable sommeliers. Published 14 times a year, the magazine has a readership of 800,000 consumers worldwide and in 2014, underwent a complete redesign and relaunch to address the growing, more mainstream culture of wine and spirits in America. The accompanying Web site, Winemag.com, showcases wine education and tens of thousands of new reviews yearly, in addition to original content on food and wine pairing, wine travel and celebrity wine personalities, among other topics.
The magazine’s editors are:
- Executive editor: Susan Kostrzewa
- Managing editor: Joe Czerwinski
- Tasting director/senior editor: Lauren Buzzeo
- Senior editor: Jameson Fink
- Web editor/producer: Marina Vataj, Senior associate digital editor Joseph Hernandez
- Associate editor: Anna Archibald
- European editor: Roger Voss
- Italian editor: Kerin O'Keefe
- Contributing editor (Oregon and Canada): Paul Gregutt
- Contributing editor (Washington and Idaho): Sean S. Sullivan
- Contributing editor (South America, Spain): Michael Schachner
- Contributing editor (Austria): Anne Krebiehl
- Contributing editors (California): Virginie Boone, Jim Gordon, Matt Kettmann
- Contributing editor (New York, Germany): Anna Lee C. Iijima
- Contributing editors, lifestyle & entertaining: Mike DeSimone and Jeff Jenssen
- Spirits editor: Kara Newman
- Contributing editor, food: Nils Bernstein
- Contributing editor, travel: Alexis Korman
Wine Enthusiast Companies
Wine Enthusiast magazine is part of the Wine Enthusiast Companies, founded in 1979 by Adam and Sybil Strum, which also includes a wine accessories catalog company, Wine Enthusiast, and an online wine shop, Wine Express.
In addition to print and online publication, Wine Enthusiast Magazine hosts events for consumers and trade. Two main annual events are the Top 100 Wine Restaurant event, which celebrates the top 100 wine restaurants in the United States featured yearly in the August Issue, the annual Wine Star Awards dinner, during which awards are given to recipients in ten major industry categories, and the Red & White Bash, a themed consumer event showcasing highly rated wines in a festive atmosphere.
- Hodara, Susa, Westchester Home (October 9, 2008). Perfect Pairing
- Slocum, Bill, The New York Times (May 7, 2000). House Wine Gets Its Own Room
- Covel, Simona, Wall Street Journal (October 2, 2008). Wine Enthusiast Looks to Win Over a Wider Audience