Yashwant Vithoba Chittal
|Yashawant Vithoba Chittal/ಯಶವಂತ ವಿಠೇೂಬಾ ಚಿತ್ತಾಲ|
3 August 1928|
Hanehalli, Uttar Kannada, Karnataka
|Died||22 March 2014
|Notable awards||Sahitya Akademi award,
Adikavi Pampa award
He was born in Hanehalli, Uttar Kannada District. He completed his primary school education from his village school and his high school from the Gibbs High School, Kumta (1944).Later he did his Bachelors in science and Bachelors in technology both from Bombay University being a top ranker and gold medalist in the year 1955 and master's degree in chemical engineering from Stevens Institute of Technology,United States and simultaneously pursued a career in science and technology along with literature. His contributions in the field of Polymer Science and synthetic resins was well recognized and he was selected as Fellow of Plastics and Rubber Institute, London.
Chittal was known for his many novels and short stories. He also authored literary criticism and essays. His early writing shows the influence of his brother Gangadhar V. Chittal, a poet. His writings, including The girl who became a story, either depict the culture of his village Hanehalli in the Uttar Kannada District or the surroundings of Bandra in Mumbai. His later novels, portraying the themes of urban reality and related complexities of modern Indian life, show the influence of the Radical Humanist M.N. Roy and Erich Fromm. His subjects have always been drawn from contemporary socio-political realities.
Awards and honors
Chittal has been honored with number of prestigious awards. Some notable awards were: 
- Karnataka Sahitya Academy Award for "Shikaari" (1979), "Katheyadalu Hudugi" (1980) and "Purushottama" (1990)
- Sahitya Academy Award for "Katheyadalu Hudugi" (1983)
- Vardhamana Award for "Shikaari" (1983)
- Maharashtra Gourav Puraskar for "Katheyadalu Hudugi" (1990)
- Dr.Masti Award (1993)
- Bharatiya Bhasha Parishad Award for "Purushottam" (1995)
- Adikavi Pampa Award (2008)
The US based Library of Congress acquired fifteen of his titles which includes works translated into English and other languages.
1) Sandarshana/ಸಂದರ್ಶನ (1957)
2) Aabolina/ಆಬೇೂಲಿನ (1960)
3) Aata/ಆಟ (1969)
4) Aayda Kathegalu/ಆಯ್ದ ಕತೆಗಳು (1976)
5) Katheyadalu Hudugi/ಕತೆಯಾದಳು ಹುಡುಗಿ (1980)
6) Benya/ಬೇನ್ಯಾ (1983)
7) Samagra Kathegalu/ಸಮಗ್ರ ಕತೆಗಳು (1983)
8) Siddhartha/ಸಿದ್ಧಾರ್ಥ (1988)
9) Aivattondu Kathegalu/ಐವತ್ತೊಂದು ಕತೆಗಳು (2001)
10) Kumatege Banda Kindarijogi/ಕುಮಟೆಗೆ ಬಂದಾ ಕಿಂದರಿಜೇೂಗಿ
11) Odihoda Mutti Banda/ಓಡಿಹೇೂದಾ ಮುಟ್ಟಿ ಬಂದಾ
12) Puttana Hejje Kaanodilla/ಪುಟ್ಟನ ಹೆಜ್ಜೆ ಕಾಣೇೂದಿಲ್ಲ
13) Aayda Kathegalu/ಆಯ್ದ ಕತೆಗಳು
14) Koli Kooguva Munna/ಕೇೂಳಿ ಕೂಗುವ ಮುನ್ನ
15) Samagra Kathegalu Volume 1 and 2/ಸಮಗ್ರ ಕತೆಗಳು ಸಂಪುಟ ೧ ಮತ್ತು ೨
1) Muru Daarigalu/ಮೂರು ದಾರಿಗಳು (1964) [Made into Kannada Movie by Girish Kasaravally]
2) Shikaari/ಶಿಕಾರಿ (1979)
3) Cheda/ಛೇದ (1985)
4) Purushottama/ಪುರುಷೇೂತ್ತಮ (1990) [Also Translated into English by Penguin Books]
5) Kendra Vrittanta/ಕೇಂದ್ರ ವೃತ್ತಾಂತ (1996)
6) Digambara/ದಿಗಂಬರ (Unpublished)
1) Danapeyaacheya Oni/ದಣಪೆಯಾಚೆಯ ಓಣಿ
1) Sahityada Sapta Dhatugalu/ಸಾಹಿತ್ಯದ ಸಪ್ತ ಧಾತುಗಳು
2) Sahitya, Srujanasheelathe Mattu Naanu/ಸಾಹಿತ್ಯ, ಸೃಜನಶೀಲತೆ ಮತ್ತು ನಾನು
- "Yashwant Chittal dead - The Hindu".
- Modernity in Kannada Literature
- Chittal's photo
- "The South Asian Literary recording project".
- "Fellow,Plastics and Rubber Institute,London".
- "The Unknown beckons him".
- "Who's who of Indian literature".
- "list of pampa award winners".
- "Library of congress New Delhi office".