You're My Home
|"You're My Home"|
|Single by Billy Joel|
|from the album Piano Man|
|Format||45 rpm single|
|Recorded||September 1973, Los Angeles|
|Genre||Rock and roll|
|Billy Joel singles chronology|
|Piano Man track listing|
"You're My Home" is a single by Billy Joel. It was originally on Billy Joel's 1973 album Piano Man, and also appears on Songs in the Attic (1981), The Ultimate Collection (2000), The Essential Billy Joel (2001) and 12 Gardens Live (2006). The song appears as a B-side on "Piano Man" and "All My Life" singles. The song was also covered by Helen Reddy on her album Love Song for Jeffrey, which was released as the flipside of her "Keep On Singing" single. It was also recorded by Sami Jo Cole on her album Sami Jo produced by Jimmy Bowen.
The song was written for Joel's first wife (and business manager) Elizabeth Weber because he could not afford to buy her anything while in California. As Joel says in the liner notes of Songs in the Attic, "Corny but true; I was broke at the time ('73) so I wrote this for my wife as a Valentine's Day gift".
The original version is accompanied by a finger-picked acoustic guitar as well as a pedal steel guitar. The latter introduces a country music element to the song. The live version on Songs in the Attic omits the pedal steel guitar, but it is included on the live version from the "All My Life" single.
Author Ken Bielen describes "You're My Home" as being from the Jim Croce school of singer-songwriting. Allmusic critic Stephen Thomas Erlewine describes it as the one introspective song on the Piano Man album. Erlewine does state that the line "instant pleasuredome" indicates that Joel "doesn't have an ear for words."
- Bielen, K. (2011). The Words and Music of Billy Joel. ABC-CLIO. pp. 24–25, 124. ISBN 9780313380167.
- Bordowitz, H. (2006). Billy Joel: The Life & Times of an Angry Young Man. Random House. p. 75. ISBN 9780823082483.
- Joel, Billy (1981). Songs in the Attic (LP). Billy Joel. New York: Columbia Records. TC 37461.
- Erlewine, S.T. "Piano Man". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "You're My Home | Billy Joel Official Site". Billyjoel.com. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "STS-132 wakeup calls". NASA.