Andrew J. Colvin
He was the son of James Colvin (1776–1846) and Catherine Huyck (Verplanck) Colvin (1778–1882). He attended The Albany Academy. Then he studied law in the office of Van Buren & Butler, was admitted to the bar, and practiced in Albany. He married Rosina M. Alling (1810–1843), and they had two children.
He was Corporation Counsel of Albany in 1842. On September 2, 1845, he married Margaret Crane Alling (1812–1900), a sister of his first wife, and their son was Verplanck Colvin (1847–1920), the ideator of the New York Forest Preserve.
He was buried at the Grove Cemetery in Coeymans.
Assemblyman John Colvin (1752–1814) was his grandfather.
- The New York Civil List compiled by Franklin Benjamin Hough, Stephen C. Hutchins and Edgar Albert Werner (1867; pg. 358, 442 and 529)
- Biographical Sketches of the State Officers and Members of the Legislature of the State of New York by William D. Murphy (1861; pg. 42ff)
- Colvin genealogy at Schenectady History
- Grove Cemetery records at Betty Fink
- OBITUARY; ANDREW J. COLVIN in NYT on July 21, 1889
|New York State Senate|
George Y. Johnson
| New York State Senate
John V. L. Pruyn