1996 Australian Super Touring Championship
The 1996 BOC Gases Australian Super Touring Championship was the fourth running of a touring car series in Australia under the Super Touring Car regulations. It began on 19 May 1996 at Amaroo Park and ended on 9 November at Oran Park Raceway after sixteen races.
Teams and drivers
The following drivers competed in the 1996 Australian Super Touring Championship.
- Note : Car 11 was entered as a Vauxhall Cavalier for the Mallala round.
- Note : Car 25 was entered as a Holden Vectra for the Mallala round.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
Results and Standings
Points were awarded 15-13-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 based on the top ten race positions in each race. An additional point was awarded to the fastest qualifier for each race.
Points were awarded on a 15-12-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis for relative placings achieved in each race by manufacturer supported entries. All cars other than the best placed supported entry of each manufacturer were ignored when awarding points.
|1||Audi||Audi A4 quattro||15||15||12||15||15||15||15||15||12||12||15||15||12||10||15||15||223|
Points were awarded on a 15-12-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis for placings achieved in each race. Only the best two placed cars from each team were eligible to score points.
|1||Orix Audi Sport Australia||Audi A4 Quattro||339|
|2||BMW Motorsport||BMW 318i||323|
|3||Foxtel Racing||Peugeot 405 & Holden Vectra||113|
|4||Faber-Castell Racing||BMW 318i & BMW M3||108|
Toca Privateers Cup
Privateers Cup points were awarded on a 15-12-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis for relative positions achieved by drivers in entries nominated as privateers at each race.
The Privateers Cup was won by Steven Richards in his Garry Rogers Motorsport-entered Alfa Romeo 155TS and Honda Accord, scoring 161 points. Second was Cameron McLean, scoring 119 points, and third was Jim Ricahrds, scoring 111 points.
- Official Programme, BOC Gases Super Touring Championship, Mallala - Round 4, 11 August 1996, Page un-numbered
- Official Programme, BOC Gases Super Touring Championship, Mallala - Round 4, 11 August 1996, Page 49
- Official Programme, BOC Gases Super Touring Championship, Mallala - Round 4, 11 August 1996, Page 33
- Auto Action (various 1996 editions)
- CAMS Manual Of Motor Sport, 1996
- TOCA Australia 1996 Championship Results (27/11/1996)