2000–06 Shebaa Farms conflict
|Shebaa Farms conflict|
|Part of the Israeli–Lebanese conflict|
Tel Faher mine fields, Golan Heights, with the Sheeba Farms in the background (2009)
|Commanders and leaders|
| Ehud Barak
|Casualties and losses|
|Total losses unknown
2 leaders killed
|9 Israeli civilians killed and 8 wounded
Unknown Lebanese civilian casualties
1 Syrian soldier killed and 7 wounded
1 Lebanese soldier wounded
1 French UNIFIL soldier killed
The 2000–2006 Shebaa Farms conflict was a low level border conflict consisting of Hezbollah rocket and mortar attacks on the Israeli Defense Forces and IDF artillery barrages and air strikes in Southern Lebanon. Clashes followed the withdrawal of Israeli troops from South Lebanon in 2000, which Hezbollah viewed as incomplete due to the presence of Israeli troops in the disputed Shebaa farms. Fighting came to an end after the 2006 Lebanon War.
Timeline of attacks
- October 7, 2000 - Hezbollah launched a cross-border raid. Three IDF soldiers were killed and their bodies were captured. Five people were subsequently injured by Israeli artillery fire.
- November 26, 2000 - An explosive charge was detonated while an IDF force was on a road opening mission. One soldier was killed and two wounded.
- January 31, 2001 - Six mortar bombs were fired at an Israeli outpost near the Lebanese border, causing no casualties.
- February 16, 2001 - Antitank fire hit an IDF convoy. One soldier was killed and three wounded. Israel responded with airstrikes on targets in South Lebanon.
- April 14, 2001 - An antitank missile was fired at an IDF tank, killing a soldier. In response, Israeli aircraft bombed a Syrian radar station in Lebanon, killing a Syrian soldier and injuring four others.
- June 29, 2001 - Hezbollah fighters fired antitank missiles and mortar shells at IDF positions, injuring two soldiers.
- July 1, IAF warplanes bombed a Syrian radar station in Lebanon, wounding three Syrian soldiers and a Lebanese soldier. Hezbollah responded by shelling positions in northern Israel. IAF helicopter gunships then attacked Hezbollah positions.
- March 12, 2002 - Hezbollah fire killed six Israeli civilians, including an off-duty IDF officer.
- August 29, 2002 - One IDF soldier was killed and two soldiers were injured in rocket fire.
- December 2002 - Israeli aircraft carried out numerous airstrikes throughout Lebanon. As well as targeting roads, bridges, and ammunition depots, they also bombed several power and electrical transformer stations throughout Lebanon, leaving large parts of Beirut and its suburbs, communities in the Chouf District, Baalbek, and Bint Jbeil without electricity. Meanwhile, Hezbollah rocket fire hit Kiryat Shmona, killing two Israeli civilians.
- May 7, 2003 - Hezbollah attacked IDF positions in Shebaa farms with rockets, mortars, and small arms, killing a soldier and wounding five.
- July 20, 2003 - Hezbollah snipers killed two IDF soldiers at a border post. The IDF retaliated with tank fire at a Hezbollah position, killing a Hezbollah fighter. The IAF launched multiple flights over Lebanon, two of which generated powerful sonic booms over Beirut.
- July 22, 2003 - Two Israeli civilians in Shlomi were wounded by Hezbollah anti-aircraft shells fired at IAF warplanes over South Lebanon.
- August 2, 2003 - Hezbollah member Ali Hussein Saleh was assassinated by a car bomb in Beirut, allegedly by Israeli intelligence.
- August 3, 2003 - Hezbollah militants fired rockets and mortars at three Israeli military positions in Shebaa farms. Israel retaliated with airstrikes.
- August 10, 2003 - An Israeli teenager was killed and four civilians wounded by shrapnel from a Hezbollah anti-aircraft shell fired into northern Israel.
- October 6, 2003 - One IDF soldier was killed by Hezbollah gunfire. Hezbollah anti-tank missiles and rockets were also fired at an IDF post in the Reches Ramim area.
- January 19, 2004 - An Israeli soldier was killed and another severely wounded after a Hezbollah anti-tank missile struck an IDF armored bulldozer that crossed into Lebanon to clear explosives.
- January 20, 2004 - Israel bombed two Hezbollah bases in the Bekaa Valley, causing an unknown number of casualties.
- May 7, 2004 - Hezbollah fire killed one Israeli soldier and severely wounded two others. Afterwards, both Israel and Hezbollah shelled each other across the border.
- July 19, 2004 - Hezbollah official Ghaleb Awwali was assassinated by a car bomb, allegedly by Israeli agents.
- July 20, 2004 - Hezbollah sniper fire killed two IDF soldiers at a border post. In retaliation, Israeli helicopter gunships fired missiles at Hezbollah positions, and an Israeli tank fired at a Hezbollah post near Ayta ash Shab, killing a Hezbollah fighter. Hezbollah fighters on the border returned fire, and subsequently came under attack from Israeli helicopters.
- January 9, 2005 - A roadside bomb attack in northern Israel killed one soldier. Afterward, Israeli retaliation killed a French UNIFIL soldier.
- April 7, 2005 - Two Israeli Arabs from Ghajar were kidnapped by Hezbollah and held for four days, interrogated, and released.
- June 2005 - An Israeli Paratrooper unit discovered three Hezbollah fighters attempting to infiltrate and opened fire, killing one.
- June 29, 2005 - After an Israeli soldier was killed and four wounded by Hezbollah mortar fire, Israeli warplanes and artillery launched attacks against Hezbollah in southern Lebanon.
- June 30, 2005 - Hezbollah guerrillas launched an attack on Israeli forces in Shebaa farms, wounding six soldiers. Israel responded with an airstrike that killed a Hezbollah fighter.
- November 21, 2005 - Four Hezbollah guerrillas infiltrated into northern Israel using motorcycles and ATVs, and attacked an outpost in Ghajar manned by an IDF paratrooper unit. All five attackers were killed by a sniper from the paratrooper unit. In response, Israeli warplanes struck Hezbollah targets in southern Lebanon; Hezbollah responded by firing mortars and rockets at Israeli outposts and villages, wounding nine soldiers and two civilians.
- December 28, 2005 - After rocket fire from Lebanon hits Northern Israel, Israeli warplanes bombed a guerrilla base south of Beirut.
- May 27, 2006 - In what was described as the most intense clash since the withdraw of Israeli troops in 2000, Hezbollah fired rockets into northern Israel, wounding a soldier. Israel responded with airstrikes, killing two Hezbollah fighters. The Hezbollah attack may have been retaliation for the killing of Mahmoud al-Majzoub.
- July 12, 2006 - Hezbollah abducts Israeli reserve soldiers Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev, sparking the 2006 Lebanon War.
- Israelis Attack Syrian Radar in Lebanon - New York Times
- BBC News | MIDDLE EAST | Israel attacks Syrian radar station
- Hizbullah attacks along Israel's northern border May 2000 - June 2006
- BBC NEWS | Middle East | Beirut blast kills Hezbollah fighter
- BBC NEWS | Middle East | Israeli jets hit Lebanon targets
- CNN.com - Israel, Hezbollah battle across Lebanese border - May 7, 2004
- Hezbollah guerrillas kill two Israeli soldiers in cross-border clash; Israeli retaliation kills one guerrilla
- S/2005/36 of 20 January 2005
- BBC NEWS | Middle East | Israeli killed in Hezbollah clash
- Israel, Hezbollah blame each other for clash - World - theage.com.au
- Israel, Hezbollah renew strife - Newsday.com
- Israel and Militants Trade Fire Across Lebanese Border - New York Times
- Hizbullah attacks along Israel's northern border May 2000 - June 2006
- Hezbollah Operations from the Israeli-Lebanese Border Since the Israeli Withdrawal from Lebanon (As of March 7, 2003)