||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: the article is full of unverified figures and claims. (August 2013)|
|City of license||Sunbury, Victoria|
|Broadcast area||Sunbury, Victoria|
|Slogan||Sunbury's Own Radio Station|
|First air date||July 1988|
|Callsign meaning||Sounds like "energy"|
|Former callsigns||3FUN (1988-?)|
|Former frequencies||99.4 MHz (1988-1999)|
The then-Australian Broadcasting Authority issued a radio licence area plan for the Sunbury region on 22 June 2000, which determined that a community radio station license should be granted for the area. 3NRG was the only applicant, and was granted a permanent licence to replace the temporary licence under which they had previously operated, which had just expired.
The station was established to provide local news, information and community access to the township of Sunbury, in outer north west metropolitan Melbourne, as well as to the surrounding localities of Diggers Rest, The Gap, Couangult and Toolern Vale.
With 28,794 (15+) people in their service area, 3NRG is estimated to share in a community radio audience reach of 6,047 in a typical week (21% of the 15+ population) and s estimated to share in a community radio audience reach of 13,245 in an average month (46% of the 15+ population).
Community broadcasters are required (as part of the conditions for licencing) to have open membership policies. The management team of the radio station—as is typical of community based radio in Australia—is determined by the members of the association at an annual general meeting (AGM). The present 2013-14 committee of management of 3NRG-FM community radio is:
- President: Mike Cherriman
- Vice President: Jeff Mifsud
- Secretary/ public officer: Heather Truscott
- Treasurer: Bill Kirk -source website of 3NRG
- Jarrod Bell
- William Osagiede
- Gary Anderson
- Maureen Bent
- Steve Tyers - Technical / Outside Broadcasts / Production
Presenters for 3NRG include:
- Ron Bourke, former 3AW newsreader, began working at 3NRG after his retirement as a presenter on the famous Melbourne radio station, 3AW, Ron hosts a morning program featuring Sport with Bill Kirk at 7.10 and The World According to Sam with his granddaughter Samantha.
Duane D. Zigliotto has been a community radio presenter since 1981, commenced his first broadcast at 3RRR fm in September 1981 with "Italmusic" the first Italian programm in Melbourne narrated in Italglish, subsequently presented a programme on 3ZZZ, "International Caravan" and also completed a Trainer to trainer programme and trained at several community radio stations throughout victoria. Duane aka "The Captain" is currently presenting three programmes in Sunbury, "Italmusic", "International Caravan" and the "Eurozone",a programme dedicated exclusevely to the Eurovision Song Contest and is the only Australian presenter that has attended and broadcast live from the event over the last fourteen years. 
-  2010 Australia National Listener Survey
- CBOnline - 3NRG And CVGT Mixing It With The Community, by Louise Humphreys
- Maria Vamvakinou, MP. Federal Member for Calwell - Speeches - Community Radio – 3NRG - 19 July 2004