62nd Infantry Regiment (United States)
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2012)|
|62nd Infantry Regiment|
|Active||1917 - 19
1942 - 45
|Branch||United States Army|
|Engagements||World War II|
|U.S. Infantry Regiments|
|61st Infantry Regiment||63rd Infantry Regiment|
The regiment was organizied in 1917, in California and assigned to the 15th Infantry Brigade a component of the 8th Division at Camp Freemont, CA. The regiment departed for France at Hoboken, NJ in October of 1918 and arrived in France in early November as the war ended.
Constituted 15 May 1917 in the Regular Army as the 62nd Infantry. Organized 1 June 1917 at the Presidio of San Francisco, Calafornia, from personnel of the 12th infantry. Assigned to the 8th Infantry Division 17 December 1917. 8th Infantry Division demobilizied 5 September 1919 at Camp Dix, NJ and relieved from assignment.
- Redesignated as the 62nd Infantry (Philippine Scouts) and reorganized 25 March 1921 in the Philippine islands from personnel of the 4th Philippine Infantry (provisional). Inactivated November 1921 at Fort Mills, Philippine islands. Disbanded 31 July 1922.
Reconstituted in the Regular Army as the 62nd Armored Infantry Regiment and assigned to the 14th Armored Division. 31 August 1942. Activated 15 November 1942 at Camp Chaffee, Arkansas. Regiment broken up 20 September 1943 and its elements reorganized as elements of the 14th Armored Division and redesignated as follows:
- 62nd Armored Infantry (less 1st and 2nd Battalions) as the 62nd Armored Infantry Battalion.
- 1st Battalion as the 68th Armored Infantry Battalion.
- 2nd Battalion as the 19th Armored Infantry Battalion.
- 19th Armored Infantry Battalion redesignated as 562d Armored Infantry Battalion 25 February 1953.
- 68th Armored Infantry Battalion redesignated as 568th Armored Infantry Battalion 25 February 1953.
- Central Eupore
Coat of arms
- Shield: Azure, a grizzly bear passant proper.
- Crest: On a wreath, argent and azure, a setting sun.
This regiment was organized at the Presidio of San Francisco in 1917 which is syombolized by the grizzly bear from the flag and seal of California and the setting sun. The shield is blue for infantry.
- The Army Lineage Book Vol II, Infantry, US Gov Printing Office, 1953, pg 247>