A*STAR Talent Search
|This biographical article relies on references to primary sources. (May 2013)|
The A*STAR Talent Search (ATS) is a research-based science competition in Singapore for high school students between 15-21 years of age. It was formerly known as National Science Talent Search. The ATS is an annual competition which acknowledges and rewards students who have a strong aptitude for science & technology. This competition provides students the opportunity to showcase their stellar projects and encourage them to further explore science and technology.
The ATS is administered by the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) and Science Centre Singapore (SCS) from 2006. Participants are required to compete in the Singapore Science and Engineering Fair (SSEF) and winners from the fair will then proceed to the short-listing round of ATS. The panel of judges consists of distinguished scientists from local and international universities, as well as A*STAR research institutes and a Nobel Laureate as the Chief Judge. ATS winners need to display resourcefulness, mastery of scientific concepts, as well as passion for scientific research.
The First Prize winner will be given S$5000, inclusive of a sponsored overseas conference.
Winners and finalists (top 8 students) of the ATS have gone on to top universities worldwide, such as Harvard University, Princeton University, Yale University, Stanford University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and California Institute of Technology in the United States, and University of Cambridge, University of Oxford and Imperial College London in the United Kingdom.
|2014||Way Tan||NUS High School of Mathematics and Science||Ada Yonath|
|2013||Zera Ong Hui Xuan||Raffles Institution||Hartmut Michel|
|2012||Lydia Liu Tingruo||Raffles Institution||Erwin Neher|
|2011||Cheng Herng Yi||NUS High School of Mathematics and Science||Rudolph Marcus|
|2010||Ramyiadarsini Indira Elangovan||Raffles Institution||Barry Marshall|
|2009||Chen Fang Yew Nicholas||NUS High School of Mathematics and Science||Tim Hunt|
|2008||Chua Meng Shuen||Dunman High School||Peter Agre|
|2007||Hang Hao Chuien||Hwa Chong Institution||Sydney Brenner|
|2006||Zhao Yan||Raffles Institution||Barry Marshall|
- "A*STAR Talent Search". Science Centre Singapore. Retrieved 2011-03-26.
- "A*STAR Talent Search 2011". Science Centre Singapore. Retrieved 2011-03-26.
- "A*STAR Talent Search 2014 Winners". Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "A*STAR Talent Search 2013 Winners". Retrieved 2014-03-10.
- "A*STAR Talent Search 2012 Winners". Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "A*STAR Talent Search 2011 Winners". Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "A*STAR Talent Search 2010 Winners". Retrieved 2011-03-26.
- "A*STAR Talent Search 2009 Winners". Retrieved 2011-03-26.
- "A*STAR Talent Search 2008 Winners". Retrieved 2011-03-26.
- "A*STAR Talent Search 2007 Winners". Retrieved 2011-03-26.
- "A*STAR Talent Search 2006 Winners". Retrieved 2011-03-26.