Erwin Neher (2007)
March 20, 1944|
Landsberg am Lech, Bavaria, Germany
|Institutions||University of Göttingen
University of Wisconsin–Madison
Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry
|Alma mater||Technical University of Munich
University of Wisconsin-Madison
|Academic advisors||Charles F. Stevens|
|Notable awards||Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 1991
Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize 1987
Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize 1986
Early life and education 
Erwin Neher studied physics at the Technical University of Munich from 1963 to 1966.
In 1986, he was awarded the Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize from Columbia University together with Bert Sakmann. In 1987, he received the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, which is the highest honour awarded in German research. Along with Bert Sakmann, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1991 for "their discoveries concerning the function of single ion channels in cells". Neher and Sakmann were the first to record the currents of single ion channels through their development of the patch-clamp technique, a project Neher began as a postdoctoral associate in the laboratory of Charles F. Stevens at Yale.
He is now a director at the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry in Göttingen and heads its Department for Membrane Biophysics. He is also a Professor at the University of Göttingen and a co-chair of the Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience Göttingen.
- "Notable Signers". Humanism and Its Aspirations. American Humanist Association. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- "The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 1991". Nobelprize.org. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- Neher E, Sakmann B (March 1992). "The patch clamp technique". Scientific American 266 (3): 44–51. doi:10.1038/scientificamerican0392-44. PMID 1374932.
- Neher E (1992). "Correction for liquid junction potentials in patch clamp experiments". Methods in Enzymology. Methods in Enzymology 207: 123–31. doi:10.1016/0076-6879(92)07008-C. ISBN 978-0-12-182108-1. PMID 1528115.
- Neher E (September 1988). "The use of the patch clamp technique to study second messenger-mediated cellular events". Neuroscience 26 (3): 727–34. doi:10.1016/0306-4522(88)90094-2. PMID 2462183.
- Neher E, Sakmann B, Steinbach JH (July 1978). "The extracellular patch clamp: a method for resolving currents through individual open channels in biological membranes". Pflügers Archiv 375 (2): 219–28. doi:10.1007/BF00584247. PMID 567789.
Neher's published works include the following:
- Elektronische Messtechnik in der Physiologie. Berlin, New York, Springer-Verlag, 1974.
- Single-channel recording / edited by Bert Sakmann and Erwin Neher. New York : Plenum Press, c1983. ISBN 0-306-41419-8
- Single-channel recording / edited by Bert Sakmann and Erwin Neher. 2nd ed. New York : Plenum Press, c1995. ISBN 0-306-44870-X
- Nobel autobiography
- Scientific genealogy
- Freeview video 'An Interview with Erwin Neher' by the Vega Science Trust
- The Official Site of Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize