A. J. Griffin
|A. J. Griffin|
Griffin with the Oakland Athletics
Oakland Athletics – No. 64
January 28, 1988 |
El Cajon, California
|June 24, 2012 for the Oakland Athletics|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||3.60|
Griffin was drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 13th round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft out of the University of San Diego, where he played college baseball for the Toreros from 2007–2010.
Griffin made his major league debut on June 24, 2012 against the San Francisco Giants. He went 6 innings giving up 2 runs on 3 hits, striking out 4 and walking 1 in a no-decision.
Griffin would wind up finishing the season with a record of 7-1 and an ERA of 3.06 in 15 starts for the A's.
Griffin pitched in the ALDS against the Detroit Tigers, pitching 5 innings of 2 run ball en route to a no-decision.
Griffin made the A's opening day roster and started out as the fourth starter in the rotation. He won his first start of the 2013 season beating out the Seattle Mariners to tie the opening series of the season. Griffin pitched his first career shutout/complete game on June 26, defeating the Cincinnati Reds.
Griffin pitched 200 innings for the division winning A's, providing them with 32 starts and 14 wins in the process. He also led the league in home runs allowed with 36.
Griffin began the season on the 60 Day DL with flexor tendinitis in his right elbow. On April 29, it was announced that Griffin would require Tommy John surgery and would miss the entire 2014 season. 
- "High schools scoreboard". The San Diego Union-Tribune. June 10, 2006. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- Espinoza, Alex (June 9, 2010). "A's take two U of San Diego arms in Draft". MLB.com. Retrieved September 4, 2012.
- "University of San Diego Baseball Players Who Made it to a Major League Baseball Team". Baseball-Almanac.com. Archived from the original on July 29, 2012. Retrieved July 29, 2012.
- "AJ Griffin Called Up, Gets Start for A's against the Giants Sunday". CBS Sports Network. June 23, 2012. Retrieved September 4, 2012.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool – Player Card: A.J. Griffin". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved September 4, 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- San Diego Toreros bio