ACET (AIDS charity)
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2010)|
ACET International is a global network of independent agencies and church-based organisations seeking to encourage effective and compassionate responses to AIDS and related issues in every nation. ACET is an acronym for AIDS Care Education and Training Ltd.
Member organisations provide sexual health and drugs education, home-based and in-patient AIDS care, housing support, income generation projects, orphan support, bereavement support, professional training and technical advice in communities across many nations on issues relating to HIV / AIDS.
ACET was founded by Patrick Dixon in 1988, and grew rapidly in the UK and other nations, providing a range of services such as support for those affected by AIDS who are living at home, through to prevention work in schools and prisons, and care for those who have been bereaved.
ACET International Alliance is now a network of independent national AIDS care and prevention programmes, sharing the same values, many in the poorest parts of the world. It is active in 23 countries including the United Kingdom, Ireland, Czech Republic, Russia, Ukraine, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, India, Thailand, Zimbabwe, Uganda, and Nigeria. Most of these use the name ACET and almost all are run by nationals who are accountable to their own national boards, but seeking to co-operate together and share resources. The Alliance is supported by ACET UK.
ACET International Alliance members have:
- Given help to more than 3,500 people with AIDS
- Looked after over 1,000 orphans
- Educated more than a million school students about sexual health and drug abuse
- Distributed 1.4 million educational booklets to teenagers
- Helped provide 230,000 free books on HIV and AIDS to workers in hard-hit nations
- Given access for more than a million free online book chapters
- Educated more than 100,000 health care professionals in Romania alone
- Provided technical support and advice to many national and international agencies based in more than twenty nations.
- ACET International website
- АСЕТ Ukraine website
- ACET (AIDS charity), Registered Charity no. 299293 at the Charity Commission