|Studio album by Colton Dixon|
|Released||January 29, 2013|
|Genre||CCM, alternative rock|
|Producer||Red Decibel (Adam Watts, Andy Dodd and Gannin Arnold)|
|Singles from A Messenger|
After being eliminated from Idol, Dixon said he wanted to make a debut album with "faith-based album" without alienating a wider audience. Dixon signed to Sparrow Records in September and released his first single later that month. Dixon said his biggest was "trying to choose 11, 12 songs for the record out of the 50 or so that I wrote, but it came together so well."
Dixon contributed to all of the songs except for "Let Them See You," saying "I heard this song from a friend of mine and I just had to have it on my record. It finished the record perfectly!"
The majority of "A Messenger" was produced and mixed by Red Decibel (Adam Watts, Andy Dodd and Gannin Arnold).
On February 14, 2013, Dixon opened up for fellow American Idol season eleven alum, Jessica Sanchez in Manila.  Dixon will then go on a 45-day tour as a special guest supporting Third Day. The Miracle Tour begins February 21, 2013, in Fairfax, Virginia. 
Two singles were released before the album's release. The first single was "Never Gone," released as a promotional single on September 25, 2012. Dixon says that the song "sums up my American Idol experience. There were times when I felt like I was by myself, or just felt unplugged from reality. There were even times when I asked God if He was still there...He always answered "I was never gone."" The song has sold 28,000 copies since its release.
The third single will be "Love Has Come for Me", he performed the single on American Idol season 12 Top 8 results. The lyric video was released by VEVO on March 27, 2013.
|3.||"I'll Be the Light"||Dixon, Zac Maloy||3:25|
|4.||"You Are"||Dixon, busbee, Jared Martin, Rhyan Shirley||3:22|
|5.||"Never Gone"||Dixon, Adam Watts, Andy Dodd, Gannin Arnold||3:34|
|6.||"Love Has Come for Me"||Dixon, Ben Glover, Christopher Stevens||3:19|
|7.||"Scars"||Dixon, Rob Hawkins||4:50|
|8.||"Rise"||Dixon, Kevin Griffin||3:21|
|9.||"Where My Heart Goes"||Dixon, David Arthur Garcia, Glover||3:39|
|10.||"This Is Who I Am"||Dixon, Dave Bassett||3:43|
|11.||"In and Out of Time"||Dixon, Watts, Dodd, Arnold||4:06|
|12.||"Let Them See You"||Scotty Wilbanks, JJ Weeks||4:16|
|13.||"Wake Up" (iTunes Bonus Track)||Dixon, Stevens||3:44|
|14.||"The Shape of Your Love" (Walmart Bonus Track)||Dixon, Adam Watts, Dodd, Arnold||3:48|
|Christian Music Review||4.9/5|
|Christian Music Zine||5.01/5|
|Indie Vision Music|||
|Jesus Freak Hideout|||
|New Release Tuesday|||
A Messenger has received positive reviews from music critics. At CCM Magazine, Andy Argyrakis felt that Dixon "not only excels vocally, but turns in a vibrantly produced pop/rock statement on finding purpose and being a light in the darkness", and noted that the album has "an appropriate title that showcases his lifelong faith." Laura Chambers of Christian Music Review told that "the message Colton Dixon carries comes through loud and clear." Christian Music Zine's Jared Conaster wrote that "this CD is his breaking out, his introduction into the world of Christian music that will last a long, long time", and that "Colton came out of the gate hitting a grand slam." Michelle Amabile Angermiller of The Hollywood Reporter gave the album a positive review, saying "Dixon's release displays plenty of the Christian rocker's emotional vocals and energetic piano punctuated by positive lyrics, and most importantly, his message of hope. It's a comforting debut bringing light into an increasingly dark world." Royal.T of New H2O told that the release "has delivered a very solid effort that exceeded many expectations that he set on the show."
Jonathan Andre of Indie Vision Music felt that "with poetic melodies and songwriting skills beyond his years, Colton’s Sparrow Records debut is bound to receive both praise and backlash in both musical industries", however he said that "well done Colton for such an enjoyable and encouraging album!" At Jesus Freak Hideout, Cortney Warner questioned with writing that "Will it be put down in the books as the best and brightest debut for a new artist? Probably not, but this record should appease his fans from Idol as well as enthusiasts of mainstream CCM music", but "A Messenger remains a solid effort." Asok Abhijith of Music Perk wrote that the release was "awesome", and that it is the "best possible career launcher by Dixon". At New Release Tuesday, Kevin Davis felt that "these songs will certainly connect with radio listeners and showcase the multi-talented singer/songwriter's trademark balance with vocal tenderness and intensity, his energetic piano playing and, above all, a sense of hope and inspiration", and he alluded to how "this album encourages listeners to be a messenger."
In its first week of sales, A Messenger sold 22,000 copies and debuted at #15 on the Billboard Hot 200.  It also debuted at #1 on the US Christian Charts and US Gospel Charts. As of May 2013, the album has sold 100,000 copies in the US.
Chart and certifications
|Canadian Albums Chart||2|
|New Zealand Albums Chart||6|
|UK Christian & Gospel||1|
|US Billboard 200||15|
|US Christian Albums||1|
|US Gospel Albums||1|
|US Christian Albums (2013)||9|
|United States||January 29, 2013||CD, digital download||Sparrow Records, 19 Recordings|
- Insider, Al (September 6, 2012). "Colton Dixon Signs Major Recording Deal". American Idol.
- "Global News | Latest & Current News - Weather, Sports & Health News". Globaltvedmonton.com. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "Colton Dixon signs record deal with Christian label Sparrow Records - Zap2it". Blog.zap2it.com. 2012-09-04. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "Who Is American Idol Alum Colton Dixon Dating? — Exclusive - American Idol". Wetpaint.com. 2013-05-28. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "Colton Dixon Goes Hard on Debut Album, Writes Songs With Lifehouse Frontman". Billboard. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "Colton Dixon Debuts at #1, Breaks Soundscan Record". mjsbigblog. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- "American Idol’s Colton Dixon Will Release Debut Album in January 2013 - American Idol". Wetpaint.com. 2012-12-20. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "American Idol contestant Colton Dixon turns Christian rock star". Greencelebrity.net. 2012-09-30. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "'Idol' track sales: Carrie Underwood, etc". Usatoday.com. 2012-10-24. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- Bronson, Fred. "'American Idol' on the Charts: Phillip Phillips, Carrie Underwood Resurgent in the New Year". Hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- Brian Mansfield (2013-01-16). "'Idol' sales: Phillip Phillips continues at the top". Usatoday.com. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- Argyrakis, Andy (April 1, 2013). "Colton Dixon: A Messenger (Sparrow Records)". CCM Magazine. p. 84. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Chambers, Laura (May 23, 2013). "Colton Dixon -"A Messenger"". Christian Music Review. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Conaster, Jared (January 30, 2013). "Colton Dixon – A Messenger (Review)". Christian Music Zine. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Andre, Jonathan (January 25, 2013). "Colton Dixon – A Messenger | Reviews". Indie Vision Music. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Warner, Cortney (January 22, 2013). "Colton Dixon, "A Messenger" Review". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Asok, Abhijith (February 17, 2013). "A Messenger – Colton Dixon". Music Perk. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Royal.T (February 3, 2013). "Colton Dixon – A Messenger | Reviews". New H2O. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Davis, Kevin (January 22, 2013). "Colton Dixon [A Messenger]". New Release Tuesday. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Angermiller, Michelle Amabile (December 18, 2012). "'American Idol' Alum Colton Dixon to Release Debut Album in January". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Colton Dixon debut at #15 on The Billboard 200". USA Today. February 6, 2013. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- Mansfield, Brian (May 15, 2013). "'Idol' sales: Seven singers in the Billboard 200". Idol Chatter (USA Today). Retrieved May 15, 2013.