A Time for Drunken Horses
|A Time for Drunken Horses|
A Time for Drunken Horses film poster
|Directed by||Bahman Ghobadi|
|Produced by||Bahman Ghobadi|
|Written by||Bahman Ghobadi|
|Music by||Hossein Alizadeh|
A Time for Drunken Horses (Persian: زمانی برای مستی اسبها, Zamani barayé masti asbha, Kurdish: Demek jibo hespên serxweş ) is a 2000 Iranian (Kurdish/Persian) film directed by Bahman Ghobadi and produced in Iran. It was a co-winner of the Caméra d'Or award at the Cannes Film Festival in 2000 .
An Iranian Kurdish family is trying to survive after the death of its parents. Ayoub, the eldest boy in the family, becomes the head of the household and must do whatever work available to survive. Madi, Ayoub's handicapped brother, is in need of a medical operation. Ayoub goes to great lengths to collect money for the operation by smuggling truck tires with a group of Kurdish villagers near the Iran-Iraq border. Ayoub ultimately falls short of his intended goal and his uncle decides to marry off his sister in return for the groom's family financing Madi's operation on the Iraqi side of the border. When they arrive the mother of the groom refuses to accept Madi and agrees to give Ayoub and his uncle a mule as compensation. Ayoub decides to take the mule to Iraq where it is worth more, and sell it to pay for his brother's surgery. Some smugglers let him come along with him. They use mules to carry goods and feed them liquor allowing them to better survive the harsh mountain winter. But they are ambushed while heading to the border, and the horses are too drunk to carry on. Ayoub narrowly manages to escape, and the last shot is of him and his brother crossing the border.
- Best Film Award, Golden Camera (Caméra d'Or), Cannes Film Festival, France, 2000.
- Special Jury Award, Silver Hugo, Chicago International Film Festival, USA, 2000.
- Best Feature Award, Edinburgh Film Festival, Scotland, UK, 2000.
- Best Feature Award, Santa Fe Film Festival, Fort Lauderdale, USA, 2000.
- Grand Jury Award, São Paulo International Film Festival, Brazil, 2000.
- Best Feature, Banff International Film Festival, Canada, 2000.
- Special Jury Award, Gijón International Film Festival, Spain, 2000.
- Best feature Award, Children Film Festival, Isfahan, Iran, 2000.
- Ayoub Ahmadi
- Rojin Younessi
- Amaneh Ekhtiar-dini
- Madi Ekhtiar-dini
- Kolsolum Ekhtiar-dini
- Karim Ekhtiar-dini
- Rahman Salehi
- Osman Karimi
- Nezhad Ekhtiar-dini
- A Time for Drunken Horses at the Internet Movie Database
- Review by Deborah Young, Variety.
- Review by A. O. Scott, The New York Times.
- Review by Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian.
- Review by Philip French, The Observer.
- Review by Gavin Collinson, BBC.
- Review by Ed Gonzalez, Slant.
- Review by Mick LaSalle et al., San Francisco Chronicle