|Born||17 July 1956|
|Occupation||Singer, Musician, Entertainer|
Afric Simone (born 17 July 1956) is a singer, musician, and entertainer from Mozambique. He entered the European charts with his first hit "Ramaya" in 1975, which was followed by another well-known song "Hafanana" (1975). He was very popular from 1975 to 1980 on both sides of the iron curtain. Simone toured the USSR, Poland, the GDR, and Czechoslovakia in the Eastern Bloc.
He was born in Brazil, to a Brazilian father and Mozambique-origin mother, but at the age of 9 (after his father's death) he and his mother had to move to her motherland Mozambique on the east coast of Africa, in the capital city Lourenço Marques, now Maputo. Once, when he appeared on stage in Maputo, his manager asked him to come to London.
With first steps in show business in London, he has gathered invaluable experience for appearances in other European capitals. He gathered experience in doing gigs all over Europe. He was lucky that Eddie Barclay, the French record tycoon went to see a show in Paris. They immediately signed the contract.
Afric Simone speaks German, English, Portuguese, French, Spanish and various African languages, however his songs are written in the mixture of Swahili and few words from other languages. This idea resulted in a mixture of his own native tongue and European Happy Sound. Simone is also said to have pioneered the arts of Break Dancing and Beat Boxing as can be seen in his live performances, for instance in the televised performance of his song Playa Blanca c. 1975.
Recently he settled in Germany (in Berlin) with a Russian wife whom he met a few years ago at the music festival "Discoteque 80's" in Moscow, and has been appearing in TV shows in France, Italy, Germany and Lithuania.
- 1974 - "Barracuda" / B-side "Hûmbala" Ariola 1974
- 1975 - "Ramaya" / "Piranha" (Barclay, BRCNP 40066)
- 1976 - Hafanana / "Sahara" (Barclay, BRCNP 40072)
- 1976 - Aloha-Wamayeh / "Al Capone" (Hansa, 17 586 AT)
- 1977 - Maria Madalena / "Aloha" (Barclay)
- 1977 - Playa Blanca / "Que Pasa Mombasa" Musart, MI 30387
- 1978 - "Playa Blanca" / Marabu (Barclay)
- 1980 - China Girl / "Salomé" (Barclay)
- 1974 - Mr. Barracuda (BASF, 2021932)
- 1975 - Ramaya (Barclay, 70024)
- 1976 - Aloha Playa Blanca (CNR)
- 1978 - Boogie Baby (RCA)
- 1978 - Jambo Jambo (Epic)
- 1981 - Marria Sexy Bomba De Paris (Epic)
- 1990 - Afro Lambada (Multisonic)
- 1989 - Best of Afric Simone (re-edition 2002 with bonus tracks)