|• Mayor (2008–2014)||André Casanova|
|• Land1||33.88 km2 (13.08 sq mi)|
|• Population2 density||7.2/km2 (19/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||2B002 / 20270|
|Elevation||17–459 m (56–1,506 ft)
(avg. 66 m or 217 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Aghionais or Aghionaises
Aghion is located on the eastern plains of Corsica 5 km west of Aleria. It can be accessed by the D343 road which comes from the National Highway N198 in the south east and passes west though the southern plain of the commune to Maison Pierraggi in the west and continues on to Vezzani in the Tagnone Valley 25 km away. From the D343 the D443 branches north at the hamlet of Samuleto and continues to the village before continuing north by a tortuous mountain route to Casevecchie.
The commune is watered by the Tagnon, a tributary of Tavignano, which separates an area of hills to the north from the plain, which is larger in area, to the south. There is a large dam with a large lake in the south of the commune.
List of Successive Mayors of Aghione
(Not all data is known)
In 2009, the commune had 231 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known through the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1866. From the 21st century, a census of municipalities with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
The commune of Aghione is predominantly agricultural. The hills are used for grazing goats, sheep, and pigs; while the plain is planted with vines and fruit trees (kiwifruit, Mandarins). There is no farm of significant size located in the commune. In particular the grapes are collected by neighbouring wineries - mainly by the Aleria cooperative.
The commune has no access to the sea yet is close by (Alzitone is 5 kilometers from the coast). Aghione has no tourist facilities and does not have any second homes.
Sites and Monuments
- The Sulphurous water source of Puzzichello (site now abandoned)
- Alzitone Reservoir (artificial lake)
- Old railway line on the eastern plain
- Communes of the Haute-Corse department
- Cantons of the Haute-Corse department
- Arrondissements of the Haute-Corse department
- Official website of Aghione (French)
- INSEE (French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002 , the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" which allow, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For municipalities with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these municipalities is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force in 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Inhabitants of Haute-Corse (French)
- Google Maps